1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Just want to thank you for all the knowledge shared here Gil. I stumbled upon this thread and gleaned so much information. My version of pore filler is inspired by yours. Works so well. Like you say, no shrinkage! The aniline dye & shellac bursts are my favorite. Figured you should see what you've helped inspire. Here are 2 sister guitars with tops reclaimed from a 1939 Hammond BC. Maple harvested nearly 100 years ago. I heavily faded the Retrograde's burst and smoked the Terraplane w/ a bit of fading. I hope your well Gil! I miss corresponding with you!

IMG_6087.JPG IMG_6164.JPG IMG_6132.JPG

2blue2, Torren61, DarkshipDan and 3 others like this.
  2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Oh Gil, the children are growing up so fast!

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

And they get sassy ... :D:D:D

4. Sterling Sound

Sterling Sound Tele-Meister

Could it be Hague Blue or "The Hague Blue"? Thats a known color.. and it's beautiful (on my walls).

5. matt310

matt310 NEW MEMBER!

Absolutely wonderful topic. I have read the 50 first pages for yet, your job is amazing.

I have done a lefty LP, but it’s only amateur job, based on a good LP kit (only flamed maple top one piece mahogany body, undrilled, and one piece mahogany neck with ebony unfretted fretboard.

Result :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CFFF, Torren61, moosie and 2 others like this.
  6. Mars Hall

Mars Hall TDPRI Member

The one time I played a 1960 Burst, it wasn’t plugged in and it was a very brief moment. However, I’ve had the opportunity of playing several 50’s Goldtops, along with countless Historic offerings from Gibson. All very good guitars. I’ve got to say that my recently acquired Yaron9 is absolutely the best Les Paul guitar I’ve ever played.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a Tiger Striped 1959 Sunburst Les Paul. I’d like to thank Gil Yaron for making it possible and saving me a cool quarter of a million dollars to boot! Your dedication to making only exceptional sounding and beautiful guitars is unmatched, IMHO.

Attached Files:

CFFF, rogb, 2blue2 and 6 others like this.
  7. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Congrats on your new guitar. Beautiful!

Would enjoy seeing a photo of the back of the instrument.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wonder if you're thinkin' that this beauty deserves it's own thread, but the Telecaster guys might not want that...

You sir, would be incorrect on that last part. Start a thread, and we'll forgive you :D

oheare and awasson like this.
  9. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That's a beauty.

This specific discussion build thread is the whole reason I joined this TDPRI website. I caught wind of it a little late and I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss out on any of Gil’s updates. I’m with @moosie about starting your own discussion thread and pictorial for that guitar. I’d like to hear all about it.

oheare likes this.
  10. moosie

Yeah, I found this thread pretty late, and it was like Christmas and my birthday all at once. Can you say "binge"?

Then I realized Gil had a bunch of other builds on here...

awasson likes this.
  11. Mars Hall

Mars Hall TDPRI Member

Having already purchased it, I found this thread a week or so previous to receiving my guitar. I consumed this thread as if every photo and comment was my guitar! It was like watching it being built. The timing couldn’t have been better. After learning the passion and positive energy that gets put into each build, it gives me a huge respect for the man.

The guitar, among my friends is affectionately known as Gilly. I will post some more photos, possibly in another thread here, when I get some good daylight. Thanks for all the kind replies.

Barncaster, awasson and moosie like this.
  12. Mars Hall

Mars Hall TDPRI Member

Happy Birthday to Mr Gil Yaron

Barncaster and D'tar like this.
  13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Is it Gil's B-Day?
    Happy B-Day Gill Thanks for the countless hours of inspiration. All your threads are so rich with passion and knowledge. I hope you have a great one.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Thta's right. Happy birthday Gil! I hope you and your family have a great day!

15. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

Happy birthday Gil, hope today brings you an extra special sandwich!

16. awasson

Ha... I knew it! The other day when this thread woke up again, I had two thoughts...

1) what a great thread this is.

2) Gil’s Birthday is sometime around about now.

Happy Birthday Gil and thanks for this and your other guitar build, discussion and sandwich making threads. I hope you have a great day and another year coming up!

17. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Just finished this incredible thread and want to say again thanks to Gil for sharing his knowledge!

awasson likes this.
  18. awasson

Ha! What timing! I haven't seen a post on this thread for a while but I just referenced Gil's awesome Les Paul's in an unrelated discussion this morning.

What an amazing journey this thread is. It encouraged me to actually make a working guitar. Until then, I had a couple of guitar shaped things that were not instruments but after reading it, all of it a few years ago, I built an electric. Nothing as complex as a Les Paul but it's a start.

19. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I don't think I would have gone forward with my SG restoration had I not stumbled upon this thread many years ago.

awasson likes this.
  20. moosie

This thread has been the death of me. Er, I mean, it's what inspired me to put my wood shop together. My wife is thrilled.

And yes, I read this whole thread, up to near the end, anyway. And several of Gil's Fender replica build threads, too. Amazing work.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.