Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Sad really...

I bet in 50 years the current iPhone won't even work, let alone be desirable as a vintage high demand collectible. Certainly not worth 100 or more times the original price.

Gota stop now, I am beginning to sound like an Old Fart.

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

IPhone usage has to be heavily controlled in our house but my son is starting to realize that his popularity is greatly increased when he plays electric or flamenco at school.... hormonal practicality must win out!

Newbcaster, Zepfan and koolaide like this.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

How much is an Apple Lisa worth today? And what could you do with one?

koolaide likes this.

4. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Just made some dark cherry filler this week. Remembering your question I took some shots.

Components (my error with the royal blue... should have been the oil type)

[​IMG]

My mixing/shaking can. I eyeball the color and add blue and black as needed. Each batch is a little different (-;

[​IMG]

Apply with the grain to shellac sealed surface

[​IMG]

Let it get hazy for 1-2 minutes depending temp. like that

[​IMG]

Rough cotton cloth

[​IMG]

hard press material into pores in circular motion

[​IMG]

Works best as the material builds on the cloth...

[​IMG]

wipe all excess material off with clean cloth. Surface should be shiny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

examine the filler against a strong light to verify it is perfectly flush with the wood

[​IMG]

Allow to dry overnight and seal with shellac before applying nitro sealer.

If your wall is still clean you did something wrong (-;

[​IMG]

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Your dog wants you to throw that stick......

Torren61, AAT65 and moosie like this.

6. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    She prefers balls

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Gil, where's the sandwich? Now that your stateside I was hoping to see something Tex Mex..:)

8. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I keep a healthy diet. Vegan stuff... might be too boring to post. Definitely not Tex Mex (-;

9. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    While we talk the fine details of pore fillers... Look at this... where there's a will...

10. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas

Gil, thanks again for sharing the pore filling info. I have one question. I assume you did not actually use the alcohol soluble blue dye in your mixture but an oil soluble blue. If so, was it J.E. Moser brand or something else. I ordered some Moser aniline dyes from wood worker's supply a few days ago but there was no royal blue in an oil soluble type shown in the color chart. Not sure what I'm going to do about the situation just yet. Any info would be great!

11. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Yeah, as mentioned it has been mistakenly "staged" in that photo. I used oil soluble blue and brown but not sure it is called "royal blue", think it is called Antwerp or some other European city name.
    My canned cherry powder is already mixed with the blue and brown (very little needed) and I misplaced the blue can... I can look for it but see if it is Antwerp first.
    If you are using darker Mahogany skip the brown. My preferred Mahogany is very light in weight and therefore in color as well which gives strikingly beautiful 3D finish on the back but needs a little darkening as you can see in the posted photos above.
    BTW.. unless you are doing a 100% accurate repro of a late 50's LP there's really no need for the oil soluble blue.. just use any colorfast blue like StewMac.. etc.. same exact result since the filler doesn't fade much.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

12. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    The mahogany i used is darker than what you have shown. And heavier too I'm sure. I'll have to experiment with the dyes some and see what I can come up with. I am trying to make my LP as late 50's accurate as I can, but there is only so much an amateur such as myself can do. I plan on using the pumice/BLO type pore filler so I'm sure I need something oil compatible. If the stewmac stuff will work for the blue in the filler, then I will just use that if I can't find any blue oil aniline powder. Thanks again for the info!

13. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    You can always use alcohol soluble blue in acetone and add to the mix. Acetone will be a good agent to melt the blue in as long as there is no alcohol involved.

14. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    Ok! I did not know that could be done. I have some alcohol soluble blue coming my way as we speak.

15. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Good to see this thread isn't dead! I have been playing for 15+ years and have only played with others a handful of times, mostly with old guys that are way better than me. I learn so much each time, never had a chance to learn and play with people my age... I know exactly one drummer my age, like me is forced to emulate his hero's in his basement. It really is a bummer. I have also found that current generation really has no interest in listening to guitar music. They prefer the overproduced "perfect" music that studios shovel out today. No dynamics, less creativity. I guess I'll keep singing to my walls.

16. dmerkuloff

dmerkuloff TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    This pore filling tecnique is killing me! :)
    Gives a great look I couldn't achieve with other fillers, but I must be doing something wrong cause I end up with pores half full (half empty?)

17. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Sounds like your application is wrong. Brush with the grain and use burlap or tougher cloth to wipe it off pressing any excess down into the pores.
    It is a physical process.
    Note that this filler will expand (not shrink) after lacquer coats.

18. dmerkuloff

dmerkuloff TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    That's what I do. It's getting better with practice but still I notice some of the filler tends to stick to the cloth when I wipe what's left on the surface and get dragged. Played with the viscosity of the mix and more/less lacquer, hope to win :) It looks just great on a vintage Martin new back.

19. tigger

tigger TDPRI Member

Do you by any chance know if this is the same grain filler as used on SGs? As far as I know no - that one was walnut and the cherry comes from lacquer alone, am I right?

20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    In all your digging for the actual build did you ever find anyone or any pics of white wood construction??

From my reading of the interviews in Gil Hembree's book & online, it seems most the old Parson's employees stated these guitars were built at "The Solid Body" plant in Kalamazoo over on Eleanor st before coming to Parsons for finish and final assembly. But, the Eleanor employees were mostly non-tenured temp workers and the location was a temporary rental, I've never read nor seen an interview with one of the Eleanor st workers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.