Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. dinamanu

dinamanu TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2011
    italy
    HI I lost last year....Is Preeb live in da Usa now ?

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert

3. Trimetrin

Trimetrin NEW MEMBER!

Apr 27, 2014
    London
    Hey yaron, first let me say top shelf work.
    It took me two days to read this thread, Time well spent.
    No idea how to send pm, maybe cuz I don't have post I can't?

4. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Well thank you!
    Info@gilyaronguitars.com will work.

5. El Famoso

El Famoso TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Nashville
    This thread is still alive! I just lost 3 days to the first 150 pages. Skipped to the end out of curiosity. Wish I had been here years ago when it started. I think it's a testament to how much we all enjoyed it that it is still being posted on today. Amazing piece of work. I learned a ton just reading through it. Thanks! And now, off to play my LP, which amusingly enough wasn't even built when this thread began...

awasson likes this.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, for me this is where it all began. I started reading this back in 2010 when it was sort of in progress and only a hundred or so pages long. It's the primary reason I got a membership. So much knowledge and info in these pages. I think I'll go back and reread it now that I know a bit more about guitar building.

7. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Same with me.I was a new member then too.Great build thread. There is also a es335. thread too.

El Famoso and awasson like this.

8. El Famoso

El Famoso TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Nashville
    Could you link to that? Although I'm scared to start. Not sure how much more time I can afford to lose :D

9. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Face it all of Preebs build threads are Epic. IMHO

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    You are so right...

koolaide likes this.

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    LeftFinger likes this.

12. tom and frayed

tom and frayed NEW MEMBER!

May 23, 2017
    usa
    Gil, I joined this site just to ask you this question. I am about to finish a 59 LP junior replica in "cherry" (the same color as the back of the 59 burst, or so I'm told). This is the first time that I am finishing a guitar, so if you reply to this please be specific. You are probably sick of answering grain filler questions, but there is no complete list on all 362 pages of this thread with the best example on page 309 #6178.
    I have
    - Boiled linseed oil
    - cherry red, yellow, brown, blue aniline dye
    - NC Lacquer(no plasticizer)
    All of the above from Martin Guhl in Germany (I hope this stuff is legit, it is the only place I could find the old style stuff)
    - Behlen Lacquer Reducer
    - Behlen Pumice 4f
    - Turpentine (home depot)
    - I also have every color from Keda Dyes (I'm not sure if Keda is real aniline dye)
    - ColorTone Sanding Sealer (stewmac)
    - DO I NEED MINERAL SPIRITS OR TURPENTINE TO MIX DYE?

You brushed upon this on pages 84-87 and also page 309 #6178

COULD YOU PUT A % NEXT TO ALL OF THE MATERIALS NEEDED FOR GRAIN FILLING A "CHERRY" 59 LES PAUL JUNIOR OR (59 BURST)

1) 4F pumice powder
    2) Boiled linseed oil
    3) Mineral spirit + Oil soluble red + blue + black (~90:7:3) powder (or brown for GT)
    4) Nitro Celluloid lacquer
    - DO I PUT LACQUER REDUCER IN THE GRAIN FILLER?
    Is the red + blue + black dye (~90:7:3) for the 59 burst?
    Could you tell me approximately what Aniline colors and the Ratios you would use to achieve the color of the Junior below.
    And for the finish- I would like it to look old and cracked/faded over time. Will my NC Lacquer(no plasticizer) still check/crack if I use ColorTone Sanding Sealer (stewmac) under it?
    Also do you know what kind of bit(size/type) gibson used to make the rounded edge on some of the juniors like the one below. The color of the junior below is what I'm hoping to end up with when done.

I've been studying this thread and gathering materials for over 6 months for this project and I hope to finish this up while the new england weather is still "good". ha ha

Gil,
    Thank you so much, this is might be the most important and thorough Les Paul builders thread EVER!

Not my guitar or my photos (I found them on google)
    1960 Les Paul Junior Cherry Finish perfect color  .jpg 1960 Les Paul Junior Cherry Finish perfect color     .jpg

13. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    This thread is not a manual.. feel free to experiment until you achieve exactly what you're after.
    A lot of what is shown here is dated (been several years since the proto (-; ) and a lot has changed for me as well. Wish I had the time to do it all over again from the start... LOL

1) 4F pumice powder

2) Boiled linseed oil – Enough to get a runny paste texture

3) Mineral spirit + Oil soluble Cherry- Any dye combination that will get a dark Cherry color (I do Cherry + little blue + very little brown/black) depending vendor

4) Nitro Celluloid lacquer – Start without it… it will cut your open time by 90%. Use a tiny bit if needed

Use a container with a tight lid as you will need to give it a good mixing shake.

Apply with brush and leave until dull (1-2 minutes)

Wipe off with rough towel (allow the towel to absorb the excess filler, it will help applying the stuff better into the pores)

Wipe well !!! Never leave filler excess on binding

Allow 24 hours to dry before spraying.

awasson likes this.

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, if you do it over again, let us know. I'll follow along for sure.

I'm tinkering with slab body, bolt on neck guitars for now but this was this build thread that got me hooked on TDPRI in the first place and I read the first 200 - 230 pages non-stop when I joined. I never knew I wanted a Gold Top Les Paul until I saw you mix the paint and finish one. Now I want one. Eventually I think I'll attempt one.

Thanks for posting all of this here.

15. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Definitely attempt!
    In a diminishing world without guitar heroes we can at least enjoy and discuss building (-;

awasson likes this.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The guitar heroes are out there, they just have Clark Kent glasses on.

It might help if the guitar factories paid more attention to fretwork and setups for starter guitars so more first players would stick with it -- and the heroes would be more numerous to buy more fancy guitars.

17. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    It's awesome to see new discussion in this thread again. Gil, I was really excited to see your summary on how to mix and apply the pore filler as I will hopefully be getting to that stage in my own LP build soon. This thread and all your others have been a great source of information and inspiration for me. Thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    awasson likes this.

18. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Gil.. Hope all is well. Its good to see you on the forum!

19. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    It is the new mainstream music. Mostly no guitar. My guitar playing kid can't find a single guitar, bass or drum player in the entire school to form a band. They play the iPhone now...

Revv23 and koolaide like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.