Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1959 ES-335TD proto build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, May 3, 2011.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    This made one hell of a read last night and answered a lot of little questions I had on the 335's internal makeup. Thank you a hundred times for sharing your knowledge!!

That said, I've been saving up for either a Heritage or Gibson and have another year to go on that (if I don't do anything impulsive) but...now?? Now I get that 'inadequate' feeling about it! hehe.

Once again, thanks, this and the LP thread are serious reads for those who love these guitars. Can't wait for the next classic, so many choices.......

2. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    A good thread never dies.
    I've been re-reading this fantastic thread because I'm doing a 335 myself, well Blackdog built a husk (with Ken's lams) which I am finishing.
    Preeb, I noticed you said on the dark cherry one "out of the oven". Would you care to elaborate? If not that's cool. I've heard of using heat to get the lacquer to sink into the grain for a vintage look & would like to learn more. Or is it just for curing purposes?
    The burgundy one is inspired, a perfect colour for a Thinline.

3. Mxk116

Mxk116 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    OH
    Agree whole heartedly; all of Gil's build threads are inspired and this one particularly so IMHO.

I believe the guitar you are referring to is mine. I won't speak for Gil but I think his use of the phrase "out of the oven" had nothing to do with the use of an actual oven or heat to cure the finish (unless one considers he climate where Gil lived in Israel "oven-like" from time to time). FWIW in my communications with Gil on this build and others he commented routinely about having to wait for the finish to cure due to the weather but this almost always had to do with humidity.

I believe it was just a reference to the guitar having been completed shortly before the photos were taken.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

4. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Exactly! Saved me some ink (-;

5. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Yeah, this thread is legendary

6. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

C'mon Gil, don't spare the ink. Show us what's cooking in your shop (sandwiches?).

7. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    Maybe because they're selling like hot cakes.

8. Kobus

Kobus TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Brakpan South Africa
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    I have just joined here after being told about this by a friend.
    I have finished 2 Strats and needs a challenge and decided the ES335 will give it to me.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Just started re-reading this in preparation for my own build. What a goldmine!

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Okay, so 8 hours later, I'm finally back to the present, and I have a question. Sorry to post it five years late, but I didn't know then what I don't know now, but now I know that I don't know it, so...

Anyway, my question relates to the length of the center block. In this build, and in some others, the center block runs the whole length of the body. However, I have also seen some plans and builds where the center block only extends a bit past the stop bar, and the mahogany end block is only attached to the top and sides.

I'm wondering what's up with that. Did Gibson actually make some 335’s with a shortened center block? Would it be a good thing?

11. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Great Read. Thanks Gil

12. Joth

Joth NEW MEMBER!

Jun 5, 2016
    Caribbean
    I've gone thru this thread before recently undertaking a 62 es345 rebuild http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368366 and the time for finishing is near.
    What was your method for the cherry finish regarding how much blue was used in the cherry, and was there a colour lacquer layer in addition to the direct surface staining?

13. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    About 5% blue, 2% brown. 1% black in volume. The rest is Cherry Red.
    Direct staining application to the bare wood (alcohol + anilines) + 4 coats of aged golden lacquer + retarder + buffing.
    Needs to be very well prepared and sanded before staining.

oheare and anyone like this.

14. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Preeb, did you recently move?By the way ,I followed that whole thread. Very good.

15. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

It's sort of like an ES330 except with premium woods, floating Johnny Smith mini-humbuckers, and a floating bridge.

16. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Great thread. Thanks preeb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.