Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1959 - 1963 single ply 8 hole white pickguard?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by fernieite, Apr 8, 2017.

1. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    Hi guys,
    Do you know of anybody that sells a single ply non-beveled 8 hole Telecaster pickguard? This would have come standard on a blonde Tele from 1959 -1963, I think.
    Thanks.

2. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Pickguard on a tele from that year should have a bevelled edge....actually more of a radiused edge. They are also made from different material to the earlier 50's white guards.

I think Callaham do one??

3. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I went to a local music store and checked out about 15 pickguards for a 68 tele, found 1 that actually fit with no re-drilling of screw-holes.

This was the reason I didn't order online - most of them almost made it but only 1 was a good fit with screw-holes that lined-up.

Was modern, from the wrong year and too stiff, too heavy, almost too big in places but it worked - genuine Fender part. Had to float the neck p/u.

Almost ordered from http://darrenriley.com/product-category/fender-parts/pickguards/ after e-mail but decided to do it live.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The one on my PV58(even though it's 5 hole) isn't beveled and looks like the Stratosphere one that Ron submitted. Can't hardly beat that price.

Is this going on a collectable guitar or a blank body that your building?

If it's a collectable and replacing an existing guard. You can have a pickguard custom made to exact replica specs.

If it's not collectable or even a new build, there shouldn't be a problem with having to drill a few new holes as needed. They will be covered by the guard anyway on a replacement.

6. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Oh really, I thought the early slab board Tele's had straight edges? Maybe I'm wrong.
    I'll have a look at Callaham. Thanks.

Also, I'd like to know if the early 8 hole 1 ply guards were .06" or .09 thick?

7. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003

8. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    That '59 guard is thinner than my '63. It has similar signs of discolouration (mine is more used and much more discoloured) which I don't believe happened with earlier white guards so maybe all part of that cross over period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the rounding doesn't seem to be apparent around the bridge area on the '59 or on my '63.

fernieite likes this.

9. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Nowadays, the replacement guards seem to be in the following thicknesses - .06" or .09".
    I assume the earliest 8 hole single ply's were .06" thick and the next generation (like your 63) were closed to .09"?
    Thanks for your help!

63telemaster likes this.

10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    The 8 hole single ply pickguard from my 1960 Tele is 2.1 mm thick. (That is .083"?).

The edge is not beveled but very slightly rounded. It looks like it is done by hand because it's not really even. It looks like the edge was scraped with a knife or so to break the sharp edge.
    Of course I don't know how much is user wear and how much is the original bevel....
    Here are some pics:

IMG_7238.jpg IMG_7239.jpg IMG_7240.jpg IMG_7241.jpg IMG_7243.jpg

mabley123, fernieite and 63telemaster like this.

11. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Thanks very much Dan man!
    This agrees with the hq site which states that the new 8 hole single ply guards were thicker - .08".

I wonder if the first 1959 8 hole single ply were just the regular 5 hole .06" guards drilled with 3 extra holes? Sounds like a thing Mr. Fender would do.

Anyone have a 59 blonde tele or Esquire that can chime in?

Danman likes this.

12. hotrodder

hotrodder Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2009
    libertyville illinois
    My '59 has almost no rounding, and looks to have the edge simply scraped with a knife or razer blade. It's in such bad shape that I'm hesitant to post a picture of it, though - well used.

fernieite likes this.

13. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Thanks a lot hotrodder!
    Is your 59 guard .080" thick like Danman's, or the earlier .060?
    We're talking about an 8 hole guard, right?

14. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    IMG_7369.jpg IMG_7370.jpg IMG_7371.jpg IMG_7372.jpg Hi Fernieite,
    I photographed several more close ups of my pick guard so you can copy it exactly..... ;-)

15. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012

16. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    Wow - Thanks Danman! :cool:

bparnell57 and Danman like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.