Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1958 Telecaster Neck

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by AustinHimself, May 12, 2017.

1. AustinHimself

AustinHimself TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2015
    McAllen, Texas
    Here's a Telecaster neck that has an interesting story!

This is from an email written by my father, describing the necks history.

"I bought the neck from Guitar Resurrection in 1978 for $50.00, the previous owner leaned his 1958 Telecaster behind his pickup while he loaded the rest of his gear inside the truck, he forgot about his Tele and backed over it, inside the original case and when he realized he was backing over something he stopped, put the truck into Park and went back to see what he'd run over. He backed over the tele from the bottom of the body to the neck joint, no one in Austin wold buy it because there are 4 small spots on the fret board where the neck screws just barely poke through."

I inherited this neck, along with many other guitars, and guitar parts, from my father. I really don't know what I am going to do with this neck at this time, but I figured it would be interesting to share and talk about none the less!

Original finish and frets!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tremade, Piotr and RoscoeElegante like this.

2. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Welcome to the forum! That's quite a story. I'm going to predict that you'd get several offers for it, even with the added holes in the fretboard.

Flakey and AustinHimself like this.

3. AustinHimself

Jan 29, 2015
    McAllen, Texas
    Thanks for the welcome! The holes in the fretboard probably are the only reason this neck is in such good condition! It has been played very little since 1978. It spent a little time on another telecaster of mine about 15 years ago, but that was only temporary. It's sat in a box ever since..

jackinjax likes this.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Neato!
    Rez hadn't been in town long in 78.
    They moved here from California in 75, if my memory serves.
    Great story!

AustinHimself likes this.

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I guess it is important whether the screw holes are not totally stripped.

Nice neck BTW! I am always in the market for a player condition 50s neck. Even if it has issues.

6. AustinHimself

Jan 29, 2015
    McAllen, Texas
    Thanks! This neck was on another guitar of mine from 2003-2005, it was not stripped out then and worked great. That is definitely something that should be considered though, it does have the small holes on the top of the fingerboard as well, and a small crack on the end of the fingerboard that doesn't go all the way through the neck all from it's accident in the 1970's. All that aside it plays great, but I do prefer the fatter blackguard necks.

Anyway, I may end up selling it or trading it, and I may end up looking for a body to mate it to, but I'm not sure it will be easy to find a body from 1958. I do have some other 50's tele parts, so if I could find a good body, that would definitely be an option!

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'd buy it in a NY minute if I could afford it. Trade a tube amp for it if you pay the shipping...

I have a rosewood neck given to me that the first hole being drilled came though and he stopped and forgot about putting it on his git.

I sanded some rosewood from the overhang [22 fret neck] and mixed the dust with CA glue and filled it after a tight bond plug dried I put in.

Done and done.

I also have a quarter sawn Poplar neck from reclaimed wood that a nail hole was up in that region. I drilled it and made a plug with a plug bit from the back and glued it in the front. Only I neglected to align the grain before tapping it in haste. So now I get to look at it and be remind myself of dropping the ball. It would have been invisible otherwise. DUMB_ARSES_R_US, guilty!

Last edited: May 12, 2017

8. AustinHimself

Jan 29, 2015
    McAllen, Texas
    Just curios, what kind of amp are you talking about?

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    PM me...

10. AustinHimself

Jan 29, 2015
    McAllen, Texas
    The pencil date on the end of the neck always throws me.. Has anyone seen a pencil date with a similarly (poor) handwriting? Or any other pics of 1958 pencil dates?

The location of the Fender logo, the neck shape, and the backstory provided by my father is the only way I can date this neck since the pencil date is not really legible.

Based on the logo, its a 57 or 58, the neck shape says 58 to me..

I would like to get this neck appraised, maybe Ill take it back to Guitar Rez on my next trip to Austin.

11. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Check eBay. They've got a couple of '58 necks, a Strat, and a bass, with the same penciled in date.

12. txflood

txflood TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm a little late in replying to this thread but here is a pic of my Dad's tele neck.

[​IMG]

Tedzo likes this.

13. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Man, if you're looking to move it feel free to hit me up with your price. I would definitely use it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.