Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1958-59 flying v first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Aug 6, 2012.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I made a little progress today. I finished the body shape and routed the control cavity.

image-2023448698.jpg

image-19005897.jpg

image-570098684.jpg

I am a little short in the crotch area about 1/32 that is shorter than the template so when I remove the template I will robosand to blend it.

image-4265989006.jpg

2. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-3021852093.jpg

The last time I drilled the extension hole in the pickup cavity I had to set the depth stop 3 or 4 times to get the right look. This time I decided to be able to see the end of the forstner bit I would just make a big viewing hole in the template. It worked well.

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-1286485184.jpg

Here is what the cavity should look like.

4. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-309116438.jpg

I routed the neck pocket too.

5. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-2898595052.jpg

It is tight enough to hold the body without glue, I have to clean up the shoulders of the neck some to get it flush. I will route the pickups this time before I put the fretboard on. Last time I did it the other way around and the router bit barley reached.

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-1556900765.jpg

So far it looks like this.

7. Udonitron

Udonitron TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Ooooh where did you nab the stamper from, trying to get one for my project as well.
    Also any updates on the V? ;)

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Not too much progress on the second one, I spent my time on two strats. In my mind I saw things going much faster and now it has been long enough where I have to think about what I did.
    As far as the stamp I don't remember the name of the place off hand but I still have the receipt somewhere. I know I did a lot of google searching and couldn't find a lot, if you know of a stamp store or call one ask them it is made by comet and is a new roman #2 6 line.

9. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I have had the second v on hold for a while but now it is time to finish it. I have decided to do a custom finish and appointments to it. Something between this. image.jpeg
    And this. image.jpeg

Since this won't be a continuation of the 58'-59' v exactly I will start a new thread and post the link here.

10. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii

11. Null99

Null99 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    I may have missed it in one of the posts, but where did you get the printable templates? That being said/asked, the V build is awesome. I'm doing walnut telecaster at the moment but not as ambitious as you as far as posting every step. Keep up the good work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.