Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1958-59 flying v first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Aug 6, 2012.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I started preparing the body to be glued also by starting to get the center seam square and at the right angle but it wasn't cooperating and I was getting tired so I stopped. I learned that the big flush trim bit has to be close to where the final shape is or it has a hard time, I also learned that my new table sander is awesome but really hard to get a perfect squared edge on it without a fence. Last time I routed with a 1/2" dia 1" long bit but it left a little step so I robosander to a straight edge. I may do that again.

2. edcat52

edcat52 NEW MEMBER!

Jan 27, 2014
    NY
    Been watching your builds. Great job!
    Question: where did you get the eyelets for the string through cavity?

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    From a place with a pink cupcake logo, I don't remember the name. They are just standard eyelets most of this stuff you can't look for in guitar resources. They may be the same that are on the p90 not sure. I can find out for sure if you can't find any by Googling it. And thanks for checking it out.

4. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    Gotcha, that works!

I have always used the reverse shape caul trick so you just end up with parallel clamping surfaces.

A strip of 150 grit on each caul really helps negate any slipping during the glue-up.

Until seeing your headstock template, I had forgotten about the ears on these builds.

Getting psyched to hear some sound files from this puppy.

You must be a bit eager to string her up and hear all that limba speak to you, eh?

5. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Yeah, it works pretty well, not as good as I hoped though. I am finding that if the angle in the center is off even a little bit it makes like a 1/4" gap on one of the tips so I have to put a wedge. A table saw or similar would help.

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I got a really kind dorbell hanger drill bit to do the wire hole on the first on I did it with a 12" and it came out wired but someone who has worked o several real ones was kind enough to hip me to the real way. It makes sense though because Les Paul customs were drilled like that.
    ForumRunner_20140131_144901.jpg

Body and "ears" glued.

ForumRunner_20140131_144934.jpg

ForumRunner_20140131_145003.jpg

7. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    That is the one hassle with a thrust style clamp like that.

If all the mating angles are not identical, you run into the possibility of a glue joint failure.

This is where the reverse angled or mating cauls come in so handy.

So long as the cauls mate with each end and a few spots in the middle, and the glue joint faces mate properly, a simple pin register for alignment (could be a couple balls of #9 lead shot) are usually enough to stop glue joint slippage.

It looks like you slayed the beast, and are ready for the next phase.:cool:

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Yes I am finding that out. One cool thing about this forum and others is all the experience and ideas people come up with. I had hoped this jig would be better than it is, actually the jig is good, my ability to get the angles right is the real problem. One of these days I will get some better stuff. I do think your caul jig sounds neat, I love jigs. The engineering is so interesting.

9. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I got out the headstock template and made a rough outline on the bsck of the headstock ( so I can lay the face flat).

ForumRunner_20140201_222519.jpg

I used my belt sander to sand the face flat.

ForumRunner_20140201_222548.jpg
    Trimmed the rough outline and

ForumRunner_20140201_222626.jpg
    sander the back flat, all very carefully so I didn't change the thickness too much. The taper is built in when I initially shape the neck.

ForumRunner_20140201_222652.jpg

10. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I haven't been on this thread in a while and just wanted to say I am still working some small finishing details namely the logo and PAF decals. Well the logo I have been going back and forth with how to get it done and I think I am going to use one I cast for this first guitar and then try to get more materials and do some more. The problem is humidity and casting material don't get along so I will have to work fast, and make a few for the second and however many more in the future. The other detail is the PAF I have some that a generous person sent that are gold powder under a printer made decal and the look nice but not embossed. Another friend that silkscreens is sending me some more accurate ones. I will keep the first one on because it was so nice of them to send it.

11. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I went to go prep for winding some strat pickups and got out the drill jig winder and just couldn't do it! The spring is broken on the counter it is hard to line up correctly and many other issues. I began to look for counters and motors and realized that the little time I have these days should go into building guitars. I found a used once Thomas winder and it is now on the way.

image-2013180671.jpg

Here is a picture of it, since I have at least three single coils, and two sets of humbuckers( the guy who demoed the first guitar wants a set " just like these" because he liked them so much.) it will come in very handy. I also plan to modify it eventually with a gearbox that goes to an auto traverse arm. Maybe.

12. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I got seriously sidetracked (in a good way) on the 56' stratocaster project but I want to make progress on the second guitar on this project. I have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head right now the main focus is a 59' version of this V a little thinner neck and a little dirtier pickups with brass instead of steel bobbin holders. I really like Lonnie Mack's V minus the bigsby. Something like this.

image-4135331387.jpg

13. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    My phone is only letting me post one pic at a time so the next few are other ideas.

image-59741517.jpg

14. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-2434650183.jpg

I like the clear cherry best I think or the first red. Seriously thought about soapbar pickups on this one but probably the next.

15. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    image-519192705.jpg

I posted this one before but a tv yellow soapbar V is killer! Natural or red would be hot too. The problem is I have all the parts for a humbucker version and would need to make templates for soapbar routing.

16. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Tonight I sanded the bottom of the Brazilian board I got when I purchased wood about two years ago.

image-1585805902.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.