Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1956 Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TobiH

TobiH TDPRI Member

what is the cavity between the two pick-up cavities for ?

newbie question, i know ;)

thx
    t

2. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    That is simply for the two wires from the neck pickup. It would be a real task - if not impossible - to drill a hole from the neck PU cavity to the control cavity for the wires without that rout.

3. TobiH

TobiH TDPRI Member

4. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    It's a great question.
    The first Esquires didn't have the diagonal channel and the neck pocket truss rod adjustment channel (they had no truss rod either...).
    The Neck pu leads channel was drilled from the neck cavity through the neck pu cavity into the bridge pu cavity. A 11/32" drill from the bridge pu cavity to the control cavity allowed all 4 wired to be run to the controls.
    Here are a few photos from my 1950 Esquire line to demonstrate this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note how shallow the control cavity was in 1950... there was actually a need to chisel some wood of off the bottom to allow for the CRL 3 position switch mounting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The later development was a 3/4" - 1" diameter shallow drill (where the diagonal channel is currently located)

[​IMG]

and the final design is the diagonal channel that was implemented into the master pin router body template and was used ever since.

5. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Sep 10, 2009
    Texas
    I just spent a good long time reading this thread! Should have mowed the lawn, but this was waaaay better

6. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    Wow, I didn't know that was how the first Esquires were done. I wonder how many bodies were ruined using the circular hole method, either through snapping drill bits or drilling underneath the control cavity at too steep an angle? It was obviously not working that well as they saw the need to change to the routed channel.

7. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    LOL.... yes... many broken drills for sure... I know I broke one (-;

8. genesiospinola

genesiospinola Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Dout...

Hi Gil! If possible...could you say what model of router bit(size) use to shape the neck in the backside? The process is excelent!!! Thanks a lot!:p

9. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    page 6

It's CNC machined by order.

10. genesiospinola

genesiospinola Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Ok...I'd like to know the specs. Thanks a lot!

11. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Love this thread, Ill be reading through it again for sure

12. dietrichluthier

dietrichluthier Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2009
    Argentina
    Hi Gil
    I have some questions for you

which has an approximate weight swamp ash body?

In my city ash trees grow very close, I have a suspicion it could be swamp ash, the tree is equal to Fraxinus Nigra
    the grain of the wood is similar to the swamp ash
    I have cut wood, put some pictures tomorrow

Greetings

13. bobbytouche

bobbytouche Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2010
    Florida
    How do you make these cutters? Do you have a machinist do it? Or by modding a roundover bit? It's really amazing.

Nevermind, I found the answer. Great job!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

14. jay77

jay77 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 18, 2010
    naples, italy
    i want to thank preeb (alias gil)
    i think he's a great builder, but first of all he's the nicest person ever!
    i didn't know where to buy both plain enamel and (light)swamp ash and i wrote him (not expetting any reply) the answer came the same day with some of the finest dealers i've ever found in my builder career! thanks preeb!!!!

15. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

StewMac linked this thread on their FB feed. :)

DW

16. danecho283

danecho283 Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2011
    fullerton, ca
    "tinting stage is done"

Silly question, when you paint the body flat, how do you flip then make the transition from laying flat to hanging? Thanks for any response.

17. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Lacquer is getting dry to the touch in a minute or two providing the coat is sprayed thin.

18. thestratomaster

thestratomaster TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Buffalo
    Amazing work you do Gil! I've been going through all your builds and it's getting me excited to finish the build I started 5 years ago :eek:

A question for you, mainly out of curiosity, why did Fender use 1 template on the back and 1 on the front of the body? Wouldn't it have been as easy to make both body templates mount to the same holes on the front of the body removing the necessity to fill the 2 holes in the back of the body?

19. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    I think it took me a couple days to make a sound. LOL. Beautiful work and love the sound. That thing is built to boogie. Love your work Preeb always did. I was offline for a couple of years, but I'm back now building again and love catching up with what everyone's been working on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.