Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1956 Tele on York PA Craigslist - $2000

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jondanger, Feb 5, 2015.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    I can now see the reddish tone to the refinished areas that were covered .
    That is what the color was back when fresh . Much fading . The outer surfaces don't seem to match up with what I can see from inside the control cavity . Where there is no finish it looks like a wide and open grain almost on quarter . That grain should jump right out particularly on the top and back .
    My guess is a red stain with golden leaf accents over something hiding the grain .
    Looks like the standard Joe Barden wiring .
    Can you read the value on the small cap ?
    Should be 100 or 120 .
    I am very curious .

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    The small cap has 102 printed on it and the large one has 503. I hope to let you take a good look soon.

3. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    According to the Joe Barden diagrams , the 102 cap is used to help compensate for high frequency losses via the wiring .
    It is optional with a 100 being standard .

4. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    ... this, although he's a Dick ... I agree with him

@ Tom: boy oh boy, that's a nice one!

Again, you could do a ton of work on it and make a profit, but it was only original once.

On the other hand, I don't think the guitar folks have caught up with the vintage car guys that prefer the 65 whatever with beat up leather seats and the mods that were standard through the years.

Very cool guitar Sir and hopefully, otter will have another gig at his world headquarters and you'll ignore the email wanting to buy it for $7k as is until I get to play it.

Joe

5. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Joe , PM me with a date you can make and I will do the rest .

6. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Joe you're still my new best friend (I don't make many these days), you can play it anytime we get together. Or if you get to York County you can come by and try them all out.

7. PaulPigat

PaulPigat TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Vancouver
    Posting has been deleted unfortunately. I would have paid that just for the wood

8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    He told me he had 8 other people interested, I just got lucky and got there first.

9. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Here are some more photos.

Attached Files:

10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    More photos.

Attached Files:

11. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    And a few more.

Attached Files:

12. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    That one shot of the back looks like you just may have ash there under all that whatever it is .
    2 piece body .
    That guitar would look so cool next to Keith Richards .
    Both have been rode hard and put away wet , yet continue to function .
    Is that a brass nut ?

13. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Yeah the nut is brass. I'm with you that there is some nice grain showing (see the input jack shot) but the refinish hides some or is a real mess. Just one reason I'd like your in hand opinion.

14. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    It looks as though it may have been refinished by someone familiar with furniture finishing. I can almost guarantee that a glaze has been applied (& properly done, too) to the original finish. The leaf designs around the edges also make me think furniture finish. It was very common to add stuff like that to fine furniture.

You should be able to remove the glazing if you're careful. They most likely glazed it over the existing finish & then top coated it with lacquer. The glaze comes off easy, the trick will be getting through whatever they top coated it with.

Bob

15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Thank you very much for the information, make sense to me. There are a few dings where the lacquer fell off but the glaze still remains.

I'm going to leave the body as it is for the time being, but would love to bring it back close to the original color. My present fear is making it worse than it is now.

I may try to put original style tuners on and a 3 saddle bridge in the near future. A white pick guard is another item I'd like to change to but not sure how it would look with the present finish.

To be honest I'm still in a mild shock over the whole deal. Now that it's over I can say I recently moved and my CL searches were in the furniture column lately. I lucked onto this post early in the day and when I saw it was less than an hour from home got busy. A huge thanks to jondanger for starting it.

16. Burgerking

Burgerking TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2010
    baltimore
    I'm sure you're right, and I'm not trying to challenge you, but how can you tell?
    I often see mentioned on different guitar forums that such and such guitar is a two piece body, that guitar is a three piece, that other one is four pieces, and this one is a single, solid one piece, etc.
    I don't know how you spot this. For example, on this guitar I don't see any sort of obvious line indicating where the pieces were glued together, or any dramatic differences in what's visible of the remaining wood grain.
    Can you give me some clues on what to look for? Thanks all!

17. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    On the picture of the full back , it appears to be a line just below the lower string ferrule where the grain is slightly mis-matched .
    Easily could be wrong on this .

18. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    My major reference is the Telecaster Book by A.R. Duchossoir. In it he says 2 and 3 piece bodies are the norm during the '50's with 1 piece bodies very rare. Even diagonal seams were done in the '50's. There was an effort to match the grain when gluing pieces together. And the painters did their part to mask any obvious seams.

Here are two poor attempts to show the end grain. It looks to me (left photo) the top lower bout end grain curves in from the top but at the input jack side it starts slowly curving to the back. I also feel Kennedycaster's comments are spot on and a glaze is hiding it more on the top and back

Attached Files:

19. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    That guitar will look excellent with a re finish and some period correct tuners
    great find congrats !!!

20. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    Congrats on a great utility guitar!!! So it's not a dead mint original...It wasn't priced like a dead mint original. Cool Tele!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.