Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1956 Tele on York PA Craigslist - $2000

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jondanger, Feb 5, 2015.

1. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I'd take the time to check that out if it was local to me. Couldn't hurt.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Things like the funny decorations 'round the edge of the body, three string trees, and Schallers make a guitar like this look legit; just not what you'd do if you were making a counterfeit.
    Could be wrong though...

If I was there with cash and might lose it to another buyer in a few minutes, I might even buy it without taking it apart if it overall felt right.
    Feel the guard for a HB rout, hand over the money, not too smart, but I've missed a few good deals for caution.

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    If I get to look at it the pick guard is coming off to look for clamping holes as well as the control plate. They can be faked but if they aren't there that tells a lot. I want to see the neck heel too. This is a birth year Tele for me so I hope to get a look.

4. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    That is pretty tempting, just to have as a really cool player. After looking at the pictures, that doesn't look like an ash body which I'm pretty sure it should have if it's from the 50's. Or is that a brushed on brown stain type of finish, and I'm seeing the brush marks. Keep us posted if anyone goes to see it.

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I've made arrangements to see and play it tonight. I had a very nice conversation with the seller and will report back.

6. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Man, you just made my day. Eagerly awaiting the results. Super cool that it's a birth year Tele for you.

7. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Way too much wrong on that to tell with the pics. The three string tree thing I've seen before as some old headstocks warp forward as they age. That might be an indicator of age if not an indicator of the neck being in good shape ;)

8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I'm back from checking out the Telecaster. First, I'm not sure who, but the seller didn't write the CL ad. He said he bought it as a '56 about 30 years ago and has played it in local bands. He is a very nice gentleman who is also a '56 model. When he bought it, it had (maybe the original) white pick guard, probably original bridge and bridge pick up. It failed and after a rewind he decided to go with Barden's.

I saw nothing that made me think the body isn't original except for the refinish, pick up rout and a little in the control cavity. Looks like the refinisher rounded the flat at the input jack some. I did not see the neck heel but he told me there was no date on it. It is set up real nice and plays that way. The Barden's are bright but not as bright as the new ones. I didn't have a scale but felt like a Tele I have in the 6 to 7 pound range.

With other people interested he said I have first crack at it so I'm not going to say much more until I probably pick it up tomorrow when I get the cash.

But for your viewing pleasure more photos. Please tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    What are your plans for it ?

10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Good question, but I don't have an answer. It doesn't look like I'll get by to see you this week, so if I get it I'll bring it along next week. I would like to get your opinion and maybe form a game plan.

11. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Congrats. Wish one would magically appear on my CL.

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Tom , I would love to see it .
    If it truly is the real thing , it is such a time capsule of a real world , played Tele that I would hesitate to change anything that isn't broken .
    After all , that is how it became what it already is .
    I am curious to have a look at the neck , neck pocket and control cavity in order to try for a positive ID on the wood and try to find some markings .
    I will not be here on the 12th , I will be part of a group getting a private tour down at PRS .
    Other than that , winter has me shut down and at home .

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Looks OK from here, better than the CL pics of the body wood.
    Do you have much hands on experience with '50s '60s Teles?
    For the money, if it feels good, it seems pretty darn good to me.
    It has to feel good to you, but you know that.
    I've passed on some pretty sure vintage deals just because they didn't feel good to me.

14. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Well, I convinced myself to bring it along home with me. I'll take it apart and post pics soon. Has a good feel, all the clamping holes are there, the router hump is there and the router pins are there.

I'm going to plug it into my '55 Pro and give it a workout.

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

congrats, i guess it pays to check out craiglist. not that i have money to buy such things even iof they popped up. just glad he was not one of them guys who part out old instruments. way to many of them i think. :(
    chris.

16. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Great score!!

17. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    After a quick workout at home with my Pro I know I'm going to like it. Last night the seller had a Blues Jr. already hooked up and it sounded good but the Barden's were close to ice pick range, the treble must have been cranked. At my settings they sound like the old ones should in all positions.

Here's my match made in heaven.

Attached Files:

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Congrats! I'm glad that it went to a good home, and what a great pair that is.

19. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Very nice combo! Congrats!

20. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Here's a few more close ups of what you have already seen.

The neck rout looks like it was chiseled out between the back of the pick up rout and the channel and some epoxy was applied.

The tone pot dates to '88, probably when the Barden's were installed. I don't understand the wiring scheme with a lot of tiny wires grounded but I'm not going to mess with it for now. The leads to the output jack could be original.

And there is this wheat or leaf pattern around the top perimeter of the body, it is faded except in this area. You can also see some finish crazing, the whole body is that way.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.