Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1956 Tele on York PA Craigslist - $2000

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jondanger, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Saw this ad today. $2000 is probably a decent price? Tuners and bridge look wrong, pickups are obviously changed, looks stripped? If my taxes had come through yet I might be in the car to take a look. Somebody go check this out, eh?

http://york.craigslist.org/msg/4877584663.html

Here are photos for when the listing goes down.

Attached Files:

2. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    Bridge not correct
    Output jack pic looks sketchy
    Every feature that resembles a vintage guitar COULD be a forgery
    I always run away from the "I don't know anything about guitars;;;" disclaimer. That prevents you from charging fraud if the guitar is a Squier with some relic job and a fake decal and neck plate.

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Just about everthing on that tele has been replaced. Hard to tell if the neck and body are original- they need to be disassembled and looked at carefully.

4. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I've never seen 3 string trees!

5. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Im no expert either - how does he / she know they are early Barden pickups? How do they know it sounds great? Where is the audio demo coming from?

6. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I feel like the neck and neck plate are about the only things that look right. Major bummer that dude man drilled those holes for the extra strong trees.

Parted out that guitar is probably worth more than $2000 if the neck and neck plate are legit.

7. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Having owned and "updated" a ton of 50's and 60's guitars over the years, this looks fairly typical for a guitar that's been used a lot in its life. I'd say $2000.00 is a real bargain...no cork sniffers need apply...;)
    One has to remember that these were tools to be used to make money, and if a pickup went out, you just replaced it with what you could get. If the finish got beat up, you stripped it. They were $150.00 guitars...

8. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    "I don't know guitars, I dont play guitars"
    "It has a set of of early Joe Barden pickups."
    "This Guitar sounds GREAT"

A part from the dark paint on the body, and and, and... He don't know nor play guitar but can recognize an "early Joe Barden pickup"... sounds GREAT:D

Away, run away! Cash only! :twisted:

BTW, in 1952 the "Fender" logo was in a different position, and the string tree was a single disk, if I remember correctly the time line

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    I have a hatchet that is 100 years old. It has had tree replacement handles and two replacement heads but it's still original

10. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Well the ad says 52-54, but the serial number goes to 56 on the Guitar Dater Project web site. The string trees are obviously wrong, but the headstock logo looks to be in the right place. The guy he got it from could have told him that it had Bardens in it, I don't think that having that information is shady.

I know that this guitar isn't even close to completely period correct, but for the price I think that it's probably worth checking out if someone is close by.

Here is a better picture of the headstock along with a picture of another 56 headstock from eBay. Logo looks to be in the right place to me.

Attached Files:

11. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I live in the area and have replied by email requesting to see it in person. If I get to see it I'll post here.

12. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    You're the man. He has a phone number up too, FYI.

13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Isn't the neck and body worth 2K?

14. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    The neck is probably good for maybe $1500 by itself. A 56 neck plate sold on eBay a few weeks ago for $475. There is absolutely $2000 of parts here, especially if the neck is legit.

15. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

shouldn't it have slotted screws ?

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Can't be too careful!

17. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I think they had switched to Phillips by '56 but I'm sure someone who knows will chime in. Tons of stuff is wrong with this guitar. Only linked because the price reflects the issues. Commonly these vintage frankensteins are listed as if they were closet finds. It's much rarer to see what is essentially a very cool partscaster listed for a little less than the sum of the cost of it's very cool parts.

18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2011
    central calif.
    It LOOKS like a Tele that could tell a lot of stories ... putting Schaller tuners on was common in the '70s , unfortunately I put them on my '57 . Then when I had it refretted my tech talked me into putting on a second string tree too . They were just used guitars back then , the vintage thing was in it's infancy . Still kick myself though ... (sigh) Z54

19. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm also just up the road from Hanover. If you don't hear anything from the seller, I'll give it a shot.

And if you get to Hanover, stop by the Amish Market to get a bowl of Pho at the Vietnamese stand. Stuff is great...

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Go get 'em Tom .
    I knew you would be looking .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.