Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1955 Stratocaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Feb 17, 2009.

1. telemaster1953

telemaster1953 Tele-Holic

Sep 3, 2011
    texas
    great job Gil, i'm blown away.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I know of at least one that came with a black guard but it also had a metal control area cover. It was made for George Fullerton.
    Some came with gold anodized guard as well.

3. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    germany
    hi Gil, first of all happy new Year. What size of router bit is vintage correct for this years to round over the body? Thanks for this thread!!!!

4. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Worldwide
    I Agree.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Hobart, Australia
    Nice to see you back on the Fenders Gil!

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    In my big book of "Gil's notes and specs" I have 9/16" mid 1959 - mid 1962. After '62 it was 7/16". No mention of pre '59.

7. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

May 28, 2006
    Yuma, AZ
    LOVING this picture, that amber and blonde are a GREAT combination! Making me want to derail my current plans and biuld another minimalist blonde Tele with a flamey neck....

8. QuickDilation

QuickDilation TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Detroit
    I'm really really sorry to post off topic Gil, but where's the "New Shack" build thread? Been waiting for that months now :-/

9. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Coming up soon (-;

10. oblaty

oblaty TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Slovakia
    Come on :) I´m checking your profile for new thread every day :lol: sometimes more than once :D
    I just broke my wrist recently and your threads keep me alive when I can´t build anything :neutral:

11. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Sorry to hear about your wrist oblaty.
    Read the 59 LP thread all over again... I assure you your wrist will heal by then (-;
    Just kidding... I'm a little busy lately so excuse my delay with the shop thread.
    I will do it eventually.

12. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    for that period the roundover radius is 1/2" but it bites the body a little shy and leaves a sharp corner on the face and back.
    Or.. in other words, the bit was set a little low in the table.
    On some examples the final sanding was a little extreme and those edges got somewhat rounded, especially before 1956 (when production numbers went crazy and everything started to look sharper including the neck edges, headstock...etc... they were too busy to round and smooth things up I guess).

13. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Never left... I just don't like to post the same things over and over again unless it's photos of nice new guitars.

14. ratter

ratter Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2009
    PA
    That blonde and flamey neck is perfection!!

15. exluthier

exluthier Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Oh I think I could stand another blackguard build. Maybe a Broadcaster, or an esquire, just to be different. Love these threads. I was always a tele fan but your build threads and the Blackguard book have really made me fall in love with them all over again as a platform.

16. oblaty

oblaty TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Slovakia
    Thanks.. just keep up great work ;-)

17. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    germany
    Hi Gil, i am finished some bodys an now the hard job begins :). I need to fill the body with grainfiller and will use the colortone grainfiller.Do i need to after it is hard to sand it to the bare wood and only the grain is filled? Is it ok to let a thin coat all over the body?

Maybe you can give me also a tip how to mix the sunburst brown/black of an early (50`s) two color sunburst. Is it a mix between brown and black? Is it better to use Aniline based colors or is it possible to get good looking colors by mixing nitro lacquer and colortone dyes from LMI. Thanka a lot A.

18. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Better sand it and leave the filler in the pores alone.
    Depending on how dark your brown is, start with the brown mix and gradually add black until it's almost black with a light shade of brown.
    Aniline is better but the modern colortone is healthier for you.
    Aniline is poison. Proper gloves and mask are needed.
    Don't forget to use sanding sealer under the color coats.

19. ordenes10

ordenes10 Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    germany
    I have all, aninile,masks,modern colortone,nitro,compressor,sata sprayguns, but no expirience :).Thats why your help (a lot of help in the last years) is very helpfull for me. Thanks once!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what i am going to do

Filler (colortone)
    Sanding sealer
    one coat of aniline colored yellow
    than the dark brown
    then some coats of clear nitro

A.

20. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Don't go heavy on the top coats. A couple of even coats are sufficient if you can apply them perfectly flat and skip wet sanding. Sounds like you got the equipment to do it. Old Fender finish films are very thin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.