Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

1952 Vincent Black Lightning....

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by historicus146, Feb 14, 2012.

1. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Here is a Richard Thompson song broken down for learning..

Good finger picking tune that could be a great tele tune ....imo.

I sure alot already knew of this song...but it is new to me...and I think it is a pretty neat tune....

here is a performance...

and here is a lesson ...

2. MiloCroton

MiloCroton Tele-Holic

Nov 5, 2011
    uk
    Isnt that the name of a motorcycle?

3. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    Singapore
    Its also the name of a Richard Thompson's song, yes.

Its a wonderful tune. I'll never be able to play it though! Never say never? well.... But for this minute, it seems like it!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Here is another version of the song done as a bluegrass tune. I have played it more like this a lot with some bluegrass players that I regularly play on Saturday sessions. This is Del McCoury's group and I like this arrangement a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxXraQ_Pk8&feature=related

6. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
  7. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Great lesson for a superb song.

8. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    New England
    One of my favorites - thanks for posting those clips!

9. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Love to see a good country tele stab at this....with some good pedal steel licks...

Any thoughts?

10. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    I figured out the little riff once, but I cheated by using a capo on like the 9th or 10th fret lol
    I also have personally seen Del McCoury and Reckless Kelly play this tune. Its a fantastic song. The two greatest things on earth redheads and motorcycles.

11. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    Cool, can't wait to get home to view the lesson, an all time favorite song.
    How about "Whenever kindness fails" by Joe Ely next (don't know why that popped into/out-of my head)!?

12. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Good lesson here but I think it could have been easier if he hadn't played it quite as fast. It seems to be faster than the original to my ears.

But it's always interesting to see how other people play these riffs and runs.

13. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    I thought that about John Fahey stuff. I love his playing and got a couple of instruction books by him just out of interest. I got stuck in and I surprised myself and was playing songs I never thought I'd be able to. Give it a go, you'll probably surprise yourself!

Thanks for posting the vids. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning is one of my favourite songs ever!

14. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2010
    Wick, Scotland
    It was the road (pavement) racing version of the 1000cc Vincent V twin, made post-War in England, up to 1955. The sports road version, the Black Shadow, was credited as fastest ever production bike for an embarrassingly long time after the factory closed down.

15. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2004
    Evanston
    I'm trying to get this song nailed down for a gig next week. Challenging, to say the least. Here's one of several good examples available on YouTube of Mr. Thompson himself playing it:

What a great song it is.

I had the pleasure of seeing RT play it in person at a tiny venue here in Evanston, IL last year. My seat was maybe 15 feet away from RT, and it was really amazing to see him at work from up close like that.

16. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Was it at "Space" in Evanston?

Are you going to tackle it on your tele? or acoustically?

17. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2004
    Evanston
    Yep, at SPACE. Great show. He sold out two nights there, I think. The first show sold out about 5 minutes after tix went on sale online.

Doing it on acoustic, with a friend covering the vocals.

We'll see how it goes--I can play it reasonably well at this point, but at that speed, it's all to easy to lose the groove or otherwise go off the rails.

I've simplified the arrangement a bit--there's just no way I can pull of some of the stuff he does, at least not without a lot more practice.

18. Panheadless

Panheadless Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2011
    Georgia
    Jay Leno has at least one of each, including the Rapide and the very rare Black Knight.
    http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/motorcycles-1/vincent/#videos
    It must suck to be Jay Leno.

19. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the most famous motorcycle pictures ever taken of a Vincent Black Lightning setting a US National speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats in 1948. By stripping to his swim suit and following a black line so that he could ride like this he achieved and average speed of just over 150 mph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg

20. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Thats a great video you provide......and I like the look he's getting from that sultry woman sitting next to him....

Its strictly pattern picking...but the trickey part for me is working that opening with the quick pulloffs on the E string....into that pattern picking...
    Sometimes if falls into place ... other times not. Got to work on it...

21. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    That's a great video of RT playing this song - and also proves the point that it doesn't have to be played the same way every time.

Mind you if anyone other than RT had played some of the dissonant notes in the lead break then I'm sure the audience would have been thinking that they were just bum notes!! He's got such a knack of making the dissonance sound so right.

Brilliant song which also proves that it's not just American place names and motoring icons that can be used in a song - would anyone else think of writing a song about people from Boxhill in Kent??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.