Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1952 Tele #4860

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by infiniteposse, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If the solder joints on a vintage circuit have never been disturbed, I would suggest that they not be de-soldered to check the resistance. The readings that can be taken with. Pickup/s in-circuit are good enough.
    Since this guitar has been re-finned, that may not be a concern.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Do you mean the weight of the entire guitar or just the body? And by 6.4 lbs do you mean 6 pounds 4 ounces or 6 and 4/10 pounds?

Thanks and congratulations!

3. infiniteposse

infiniteposse TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    On my luggace hand-scale it just came up as 6.4lbs. It doesn't really explain beyond that. When my guitar tech did a setup he weighed it and it came up as 6.6lbs, so it seems it's in that ballpark. I guess the decimal is for ounces?

Re: the wiring, if it had all been pristine and untouched I would have left it alone, but lucky for me it had already had desoldering done at another time. I just need modern wiring to make it useful to me.

-------------------------------

Question: The tone pot seems to have a physical problem where it shorts when you get to the furtherest counter-clockwise throw of the pot. It starts to crackle and come in and out of circuit. At first I thought I could de-oxidize it and it'd be fine, but it's clear it's not going to be that simple. Is there a 250k pot out there that's built as well as the pots in this guitar? The smooth and heavy feel of the pots is just amazing. It just feels so much nicer than modern pots. I'd love to use whatever is closest to the real deal and then the defective pot will go into the case pocket with the other bits.

4. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Full counterclockwise is '0' on the dial, right? I have never had an occasion that calls for that setting. but....if you have to have it working at complete treble cut, you have to have it.
    However; late 1952 saw the change from the original circuit, which has a blend pot in that 'second' position. Teh circuit that was drawn up in '52 and used form '53-'67 has a real tone pot but no true combination of the two pickups. IT appears that this is the circuit your guitar has. That is a late '52 neck date. I would not be surprised if your guitar left the factory in 1953. but....#494902 carried a date of Nov, '52. How odd can these numbers be??? #4817 was dated 7/'53.
    At any rate, both of those circuits have the pre-set 'bassy' in the 'forward position. It cannot get any bassier than that. I would leave that tone pot as it is...if what I see there is what I think it is.

5. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2015
    South Australia
    Just curious on the S/N myself. Isn't it a bit high for 1952? More like a '54 number?

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Those numbers were not used in sequence and therefore are NOT concrete evidence of when the Guitar was built.
    I did not notice the extra numbers in my post above....here is the correction. #4942 carried a neck date of Nov, 1952. A lower number, 4817, was dated July, 1953. Some 4000 numbers may have occurred in 1954. All of the dates
    On these Fenders have to be considered in order to get an idea of when the guitar was completed.
    Why were those serial numbers used in such a haphazard manner?? Who knows...but there was no thought to maintaining a sequential order. They had a parts bin. When new plates came in, they were put in the bin on top of the older plates. Therefore, lower numbers would not be used until those newer plates with higher numbers were used up to reveal the plates that had been on the bin longer.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Your tele search is over. Congrats on reaching the finish line! ;)

Stunner! Gave me goosebumps looking at it.

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Not a vintage expert so I have nothing to add other than congrats....looks like a great instrument.

9. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2003
    No. Cal.

My 12/53 tele has a s/n in the 3000's- no rhyme or reason to the sequence-

Wally likes this.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    #4198 is listed as a March, 1954 guitar....according to the datings of the components. #4782 is an ESquire from September, 1952. There is no rhyme or reason when parts are jumbled together in a parts bin.
    The Fender amp chassi, which carried the serial number, were kept in some sort of order and do not exhibit this erratic behavior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.