Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1952 Tele #4860

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by infiniteposse, Sep 19, 2017.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Just picked it up and it still needs some TLC to play as well as it can, but it's already pretty great. I tore it down before buying and used The Blackguard Book to authenticate everything. Here's an overview using Nacho's system:
    • 1-piece body
    • Refinished body and older finish recovered from under under older refin on neck. Decal saved.
    • Tuners: open shell "no-brand" kluson
    • Neck heel marking: TG 11-25-52
    • Neck heel back: Nothing
    • Neck pocket: Eddie 11-6-52
    • Pots: 2 x ink coded Clarostat 10664 pots
    • Switch: Stamped CRL 1452
    • Body thickness: 1.788"
    • Body weight: 6.4lbs
    • Bridge pickup: 5.38 k ohm
    • Neck pickup: 4.3 k ohm (Middle position)
    • Mud position: 4.32
    • Currently wired in blend control style
    • Neck profile: Slim D
    • 2 x original springs with neck pickup.
    • Possibly non-original screw with string retainer, but patina is right.
    • Rubber grommets: hardened but stored in case pocket
    Pickups are pretty low output, but sounds nice. Neck profile is absolutely amazing and feels perfect. The current refin on the body is ok, but there's better work out there. I'm going to get it refretted and just play it a while before I do much else to it. It's also currently setup with vintage style blend wiring and I'd like to update it to a modern wiring scheme.

I'll add the former owner was a pleasure to work with and went out of his way to send on pics as I worked up the courage to do the deal. I've never bought anything like this and the paranoia of screwing up was pretty intense. I would never have been able to do it without Nacho's book there to provide reference after reference. I was able to compare signatures, tooling markings... It proved completely invaluable.

Here's some pics:

Attached Files:

2. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Some more pics

Attached Files:

3. deejaid

deejaid TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2011
    California
    Congrats man! Seemed like a pretty reasonable price in that condition. Looks great in the pics.

infiniteposse likes this.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

5. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    The only things that don't match up with Nacho's book are the screw in the string tree (it's a flat head and all those listed are rounded head screws) and there's a .1 mfd Astron cap coming off the volume knob and Astrons aren't a part that were typically used in that era. I know that Leo always made the work go forward though, so it seems perfectly reasonable to think that they may have run out of caps and grabbed some at the store to get more guitars built:)

Regardless, it'll be a great player with all of the important stuff accounted for, which is all I care about.

willhowl likes this.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Looks great. I believe that Fender was using Astron caps in their amps at that time. If its a 400v or so, and the solder looks original, they may have just grabbed some from the amp department.

(Edited to correct autocorrect.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    A sight to behold. The dream in the heart of each and every Tele-aficionado. Congrats!

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I'm wary- sorry to say.
    So, contact Terry O'Riley at twangentralguitars.com.au, for authenticity. I don't wotk for him but he is a worldwide expert on all things Telecastter, specifically old 50's blackguards.
    I have no bad intentions in this post. I hope you got the genuine article. He can tell you.

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It looks great but don't ever go by what you see in a book a lot of other people have also seen what is in that book

Teleterr and jazzmaster90150 like this.

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Looks like a great guitar! Yeah, I'd always get a few more opinions and perhaps shoot an email to Nacho at his telecasterplanet domain just to identify the stuff that isn't well published. Frankly, sounds like the seller you dealt with seemed on point which is very important and some hardcore folks in the vintage world will tell you they've had much better experiences feeling out private sales than purchasing from "reputable sources."

Oh, and when you're done with it can I call dibs????? Pleaaaaaaase? I could sure use a blackguard around these parts!

nichd01, 00HEFF and infiniteposse like this.

11. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You can't accurately measure pickup DC resistance in situ. You have to lift one lead. It's likely they're around 5-6 kohm each. I wouldn't be concerned about round head or not. They'd use anything to hand. That looks good. Love the colour in the Tanlines under the guard

infiniteposse and Teleterr like this.

12. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Are there specific things that make you wary?

13. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    How would I go about doing a proper measurement with my meter then? I'd love to better understand the process.

Thanks!

14. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I agree on the private seller route. This gentleman was signed to Virgin for a while as a country artist but also has a solid day job and we've remained in contact since the sale. Everything about his story of the guitars life checks out and I find it hard to believe that an elderly guy who used to come hear him play would have been savvy enough to find era-correct pots, switch, tuners, ashtray, etc. and then also perfect every manufacturing mark that would be period correct for a 52:)

I do plan to get a formal authentication for insurance purposes, but I feel very comfortable I bought from a straight shooter.

I'm not planning on being done with it anytime soon;)

15. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You have to unsolder one lead per pickup from either the switch or pot back. I wouldn't do that. if the neck or bridge was 4kohm it'd be pretty twanky and gutless. I imagine it's very full and warm sounding. The Astron cap might be dead, too. They dry out with age.

16. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

You can get a gruhn appraisial on photo too. There's no worry for me about what I see. Looks like a great guitar, congrats ;)

t guitar floyd and infiniteposse like this.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    The colour makes me wary but more so the lack of wear , that rear cavity looks brand new, also the capacitor, can't see it, as well I just think it out to be checked out IF you want to sell it, in the interests of any parties concerned.
    My recommended luthier, Terry O,Riley will spot anything untoward and if it's all good, he'll also state that. His opinion is worldwide to serious collectors who pay many, many thousands of $$s.
    For example has a pre-war Martin ($55,000 AUD) and two 1954 blackguard Telecasters as well as old Epiphones, Gibsons, Martins for sale and he has to sell/ and does sell on overseas auction sites. His opinion is highly valued.

18. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    ^^^^^
    How can you be wary of the colour seeing as the guitar and neck were both refinished in the past as stated in the very first post in this thread?

The cleanliness of the body cavities is absolutely consistent with photos of other early Blackguards depicted in Nacho Banos' book.

19. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Great find!

I had to spend a few minutes drooling over the pictures!

20. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    The holy grail! Enjoy.

BadMojo and infiniteposse like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.