Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1952 Fender Telecaster - Rumble Seat Music

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tjh5207, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sonicdom

sonicdom TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2012
    switzerland
    too much for a '52 in the current market. without the case this guitar should be around 27k, with the case around 29-30k. i had some funny business with rumble seat when i inquired about an 'all original' '54 tele. when i pointed out that the switch tip, string tree and tweed case with yellow lining were not original parts for this vintage, they stopped replying to my emails... seems like i know too much.

on another note, do you know the serial number of that guitar? i think i've seen this one elsewhere before.

2. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    I bought a previous Blackguard to the ones I have from their Albuquerque store, I thought it showed signs of a refret in the pics they sent me, not a deal breaker for me, but I needed to formulate what I was prepared to pay. The fellow who was dealing withe me said "no way" that his tech was an expert on such things and that he was certain the frets were original, so I accepted that and negotiated a figure. When the guitar arrived, it was really obviously refretted. I liked the guitar, but not the fact they couldn't tell me how it was. They really push the "we sell great guitars to the big guys" button, so we must know what we are doing. I don't even check out their site anymore.

3. tjh5207

tjh5207 TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Nashville, TN

4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Just curious as to whether you vintage buyers are looking for a totally playable guitar when you go shopping, or are you just looking at it as a historical piece? If I decided to drop serious money on an old guitar, it would need to also be a reasonable player, as I couldn't just put something on the wall and look at it. Any opinions?

5. sonicdom

sonicdom TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2012
    switzerland
    totally. as a matter of fact my '53 is in the shop right now getting new frets, a new nut, the pickups wax potted and rewired to modern. the original frets were played down to the wood, the nut completely worn out, the pickups sound unbelievable but they feed back even at bedroom volume. even though this guitar was completely original and came from the original owner who played it until the early 80's, i do not have any reservations about fixing it up. guitars are made to play not to dis-play and the way it is, it's not really playable and too worn to be interesting for a collector. when i get it back from the shop it will be good for many years to come. if it was in mint condition, i would not change a thing, however. but then again, i don't buy minty guitars...

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I'm the same as the above poster. I have four vintage Fenders, from '52 to '66, and they all came to me as player's grade guitars. All have had changes made to them before I got them. I just don't want to feel held hostage to an all-original guitar. Some guys are totally comfortable playing the snot out of a $40,000 guitar and take it everywhere. Me, I'd be chicken.

I say, don't regret...refret!

7. poorplayer

poorplayer Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2005
    Televille
    vintage prices are always hard to nail down: you will hear stories of some guys paying less and some paying more. It's fuzzy at best and when you find something you really like you don't have 20 others exactly like it on any given day to choose from. Mid 20s to mid 30s depending on condition/originality seems to be about where 52-53 teles have settled down. A nice case is worth maybe 3-4k.

8. bearbike137

bearbike137 TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Chicago
    I know that I am reviving an old thread here, but I just came across it and I have a bit different take on the situation. I played that same '52 blackguard Tele at RumbleSeat last summer (serial #3344, photo below). The experience was life changing. I have never played another guitar like it before or since. The guys at RumbleSeat will tell you that it was perhaps the best sounding vintage Tele to ever come through their shop. I was pulling my hair trying to find a way to buy it, but I could not afford it.

First, the frets, while worn, were not "shot". They were still very playable. The whole guitar, including the neck, was in pretty good shape for a guitar that age. "Huge ruts" in the fretboard? Come on.

My guess is that the reason RumbleSeat was so firm on the price was that they knew it was that good. I am not affiliated with the shop in any way, but when I was in there, they treated me very well - including my follow-up regarding the guitar.

I have no skin in this game, but when I saw the OP comment that the guitar was unplayable, it made me somewhat dubious about his complaints regarding RumbleSeat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2012
    Malaysia
    It looks like this thread will be locked soon.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but...I can't understand why folks buy guitars from dealers.
    Yes, it's easier, and I suppose folks must feel safer making such a big purchase from an established, reputable place, but it seems to me like the way to go is to save a pile of dough by educating yourself and buying from a trustworthy private seller.
    I suppose it's sort of like paying premium for a new house or a new car...which I would never do either.
    I guess much of our economy would tank if everybody was like me.

11. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    I'm a player before a collector. The collection came from having a problem with selling guitars, not buying 'em......:lol:

All my guitars are "players" despite being vintage and clean, and I use all my old amps too for that matter.

I don't get the "hang it on the wall" thing.....then a guitar is reduced to nothing more than a few bits of wood and metal. They need a voice.

12. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    The majority of clean high-end vintage guitars are in the hands of collectors, who often deal in and out of instruments. These guitars are, generally, no cheaper than dealers would sell for. Most good dealers of high-end act more as brokers by introducing parties that don't know each other and taking a "turn" in the middle. It works fine.

It's very hard to find genuine "original" owners, particularly on this side of the pond (vintage Marshall and Vox notwithstanding).

13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Nice. 7.7lbs? They made them that heavy back then?

14. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2010
    UK
    Ive heard of Broadcasters that weigh 10 pounds.

15. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2007
    on the bridge pickup
    Check out Nacho Banos - Blackguard Book....many of the weights of blackguard Teles were all over the place. Regarding playability, good frets are a must. Everything I own must be at high playability status....a refret is not a negative to me. YMMV.

16. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    worn neck

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Kidding about the weight. I was joking that 7.7lbs is something most of the boutique/CS cork sniffers would turn down.

18. bearbike137

bearbike137 TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Chicago
    Why do you say that?

19. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    True, I don't know the weight of mine, but it's the heaviest guitar I own

20. ted adlington

ted adlington TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting an AVRI 58 as I see some reviews say the 52 neck is a bit big. I have a 69 thinline the neck on that is perfect and a 60th anniversary strat that's ok too. Has anyone got any views on the AVRI's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.