Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1951 Pro Amp "kit"

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Simpson, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I played through this amp for a bit tonight and ... Oh Myyy, this amp sounds good!!!
    The "little distortion on notes that should be clean" at low volume has cleared up and it sounds great.
    I will try to make a sound recording in a few days.

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Awesome. I'd love to hear that thing.

Earlier you measured 290v on the plates. Doesn't that seem a little low? Shouldn't it be closer to 360-380v?

3. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Yes, it wasn't till later I realized I had it plugged in to the light bulb limiter when I was testing the voltages and I don't remember if I had all the tubes in. I need to check the voltages again with it warmed up tonight.

4. screamin eagle

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    That makes a little more sense then. I'm curious what this will measure with original trannys.

5. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    Very nice job of bringing that amp back from the dead. If it sounds as good as it looks it will be great.
    Thanks John

6. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The plate voltage with the amp warmed up is 426v

[​IMG]

7. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

8. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I measured the voltages earlier with the amp plugged into the limiter and without all the tubes installed.
    Below are the correct voltages with the amp warmed up. This weekend I will pull the back panel off the other pros and check their voltages for comparison.

Pin 3 of both of the 6L6 is 426 v on the plates of both tubes

The filter caps B+ voltage 433 v, 433 v, 357 v, 320 v the 3rd and 4th showing the voltage drop from the 10k resistors

9. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2016
    Colorado
    Great work on this restorstion!

...Thom

10. screamin eagle

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Interesting. I always thought these were closer to 380-400 on the plates and about 425 B+. I'm sure your wall voltage is higher than it was when this was built, nevertheless at 426v on the plates I bet that sounds awesome. 6l6s don't always sound their best with less than 400 volts.

11. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I went ahead and recovered the back panels so they would match. I really hated to pull the original tween off the back panels but they looked out of place on the amp.

Another odd thing is the 51 & earlier TV front amps have a smaller upper back panel than the 52 & later. The later upper panel covers the tubes and has the usual oval cutouts for ventilation and the earlier panel only covers the back of the amp chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo, jvin248 and King Fan like this.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You've definitely got a nice gem there, can't wait to hear a sound clip. Can I see a shot of the controls on the chassis, I just want to see how it came out after being cleaned up.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Such a nice amp and resto!

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    An interesting point about early Tweed Pro amps: when Leo first released the Precision Bass, he had not yet perfected an amp to pair with it. The Tweed Pro was chosen. Possibly due to it's 15" speaker. Leo knew an amp had to be created for specific use as a bass amp. The single 15", ported cab, with bottom placed chassis Bassman was soon released. Followed soon by multiple blown speakers.

telemnemonics likes this.

15. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The chrome is a bit rough and in worse condition than my other amps but I was able to clean all the grime and tarnish off while saving most of the white lettering.

[​IMG]

Not too bad considering what I started with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

16. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Hey Mike, what did you use to clean the panel? I'm always afraid I'm going to wipe the lettering.

17. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    For most of it I used "Never Dull", it is a chrome polish in a cotton wadding. On some of the worst rust I used a little POR-15 metal prep on a Qtip and cleaned that off with Never Dull. I had the POR-15 on hand for my Dodge truck project and I use Never Dull to polish the chrome on my motorcycle. I was worried about the lettering too but I just couldn't leave it like it was.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Re chrome plate cleaning:

On my 59 5E3. I just used armour-all wipes. I was ok with a little dirt/rust left over so it still looked a little ragged. I took off the nuts and washers
    that mount each jack/switch/pot and cleaned them with a wire brush. A little light gun oil upon reassembly. Seems to be holding up fine however I live in a pretty dry climate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

19. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Very nice job on the resto, congrats.

Asmith and boredguy6060 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.