Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1951 Pro Amp "kit"

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Simpson, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have a weakness... I just can't pass up a neglected mistreated dog or an old neglected Fender amp... they are kind of similar.

So I picked up this "kit", I really don't need it but I had to save it.

51prokit.jpg

View attachment 365414 00g0g_bNnhcLCecfx_1200x900.jpg 00K0K_kLJdPsenMNU_1200x900.jpg 00v0v_8q7hgrqMwTv_1200x900.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    jvin248, Superrock, uriah1 and 5 others like this.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I'm to the point of not needed any more amps myself.
    But I would've grabbed that too. :)

3. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Where do you find such things?

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina

5. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I wasn't really looking for it... I check Craigslist semi regularly looking for bargains on Mackie PA stuff and I have been looking for a deal on a good Fender or G&G hard case or two and I stumbled across this poor neglected Pro Amp and as I said before I have a weakness for old Fender amps. I don't need it, I already have 2 Fender Tweed Pro Amps a 49 and a 52.

savofenno likes this.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    And now a '51. Might as well track down a '50 while you're at it.

Someone posted that CL link here yesterday. Did you negotiate the price? Just curious. Are the tranny's good?

savofenno likes this.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Dang... That's nice. Fender wide panels are way too cool.

8. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    I would have bought it too for the right price. That amp deserves to be played again.

9. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Cool! Looks like a fun project to me.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    So cool! I hope we see pics when it's all together!

11. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I am going to replace the 4 16uf caps and 2 10k resistors between them. They have been changed sometime in the past but are mismatched.
    It appears that the speaker mounted output transformer is bad or at least someone monkeyed with it and cut some of the paper off and one of the windings has been cut so I guess I am going to replace that as well. (Classictone or Mercury Magnetics?) I need to order some tweed and grill cloth to recover the cabinet. The guy I bought it has not been powered up since he bought it from "an old guy" and most of the tweed was gone and it had wood grain contact paper on it and he removed that. The speaker cone seems OK and moves freely but I have not tested it yet. The power transformer is a Triad 6516 and since it has not been powered for am unknown time and some of the leads have been desoldered I plan to test it with an ohm meter for short / open and then power it up and verify the voltages.

It needs:
    Cap job
    Output Transformer (Triad 1846 replacement Classictone or Mercury Magnetics?)
    Tweed & Grill cloth
    Glide feet and a leather handle (missing)
    grounded power cord

My Pro collection...
    I rescued an old 52 Pro years ago and it has served me well for many years. The 49 on the left is the original tweed so I have that one to look at for how to cut the tweed to recover the 51. The 52 in the middle is the one I recovered years ago. Someone had cut a hole in the baffle for a little EV horn and I never plugged the hole. The grill cloth I used then is the later style because that is what Antique Electronics had. My 71 Pro Reverb on the right is original except for the fuse holder and a couple of caps.

ProTrio.jpg

raneym305, Jim W, Rock-Ola and 3 others like this.

12. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I didn't see it posted on TDPRI. I paid $500 his asking price, he delivered it to me. To me it is an old dog and I want to save it. I figure it is worth $1200 to $1500 retweeded in working condition, about half or so of a minty one. The output transformer is bad. Still need to test the Power Transformer.

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Man, what a find.
    Yes, restore that baby to look like new, and you'll have no problem selling it.
    Putting this amp back into action is a very noble endeavor.
    It could last another 65 years.
    Where's that envy button?

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I use a light bulb limiter to test power transformers to start with. A good one across the primary wires reads so close to a dead short it's easier. If the light stays full bright with no secondary wires hooked up. No further testing is required.

robrob likes this.

15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Very nice find. Please post some pics when you get 'er done.

16. Stone_Cutter

Stone_Cutter TDPRI Member

May 7, 2016
    Central Mass
    One of the first amps I used to play through was one of these I believe. I loved that amp. A kid in the neighborhood had a grandfather that gave it to him. This was 1981 or so.

17. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Thanks Bobby, I have a light bulb limiter.

BobbyZ likes this.

18. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Why would someone solder a ground wire on each of the tube retainers? The base of the tubes is non conductive phenolic or plastic. Also you can see what someone did to the OT.

[​IMG]

19. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The on off switch is bad and reads open in either position. I used a jumper wire across the switch to test the voltages. Wouldn't it be ironic if someone took this amp all apart because the switch was bad.

Most of the transformer wires had been disconnected and marked with little tags which worried me. The good news is the power transformer is good, no shorts or opens and the light bulb does not glow at all.

Does anyone know where I can find the correct voltages for a Triad 6516 power transformer?

Black wires, primary winding reads 2.9 ohms
    Green wires read .1 ohm and output is 7.0v
    Yellow wires read .2 ohm and output is 5.3v
    Red wires read 124.9 ohms and output is 769v
    red/yellow center tap reads 60.4 / 64.9 ohms[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mercury Magnetics would/could supply you with the information you're looking for. Their customer service and responses always pleasantly surprise me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.