Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1950s-jet-launching-tiny-satellites

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by xafinity, Oct 6, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    tery, JayFreddy, studio1087 and 3 others like this.

2. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    CT
    I had that same model. Became my favorite jet fighter when I was a kid. Can still remember reading the paragraph or two on the assembly instruction sheet saying top speed: 1500 MPH. That seemed unbelievable to me then...around '60-'61, I'm guessing.

Good to see there's a new use for these old amazing aircraft.

xafinity likes this.

3. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Didn't have a model but I think I had a poster of it, and that was in the 80s, long after the air force had retired them.

Chuck Yeager's novel is also full of F-104 Starfighter stories, he had a spectacular crash in one (flat spin IIRC) and almost died. By most accounts it sounds like it was really a quite terrible plane, it was just really fast in a straight line for it's time and there was some macho Air Force thing about keeping it in service? It had a super high stall speed/landing speed, over 200kts even clean with little fuel, so they were having to do things like dump fuel and use a drogue chute when landing, and because of that high speed there were all kinds of problems with tires and landing gear. They killed a lot of pilots.

Definitely looks cool.. there is a cool bit of trivia, if you go to the newish Aviation museum at Pearl Harbor they have an F-104 there, it is the exact F-104 that appeared briefly in "I Dream of Jeanie", didn't watch that show much but the Major supposedly flew it or something.

Teleterr likes this.

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    If you read the story in the link it relates all the pros and cons of performance. Also the Chuck Yeager story. US got rid of them and Lockheed bribed other countries into buying so many they had to farm out the production.
    Some air forces called them lawndarts. West Germany lost 30 of 100 and called them the Widowmaker.
    I dont think Chuck Yeager got paid enough. Some joked that he spent more time in space than any of the astronauts.
    [​IMG]

Teleterr, emisilly and voodoostation like this.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Just about every launch of any sort these days is carrying dove satellites to form constellations to carry out a multitude of tasks. Amazing stuff. Planet out of San Francisco will soon be able to fully photograph the entire Earth every 24 hours. Amazing stuff starting to happen.

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Scary airplane.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I always find it funny when people talk about the large size of something. "It's so big that it's visible from space." Well hell, EVERYTHING is visible from space now.

BobbyZ likes this.

8. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    The F-104 was a beautiful plane to look at. I too used to daydream about flying one of them. I probably had a few toy 104s in the toy box.

I just watched a video about the worst fighter planes and this one made the list. The narrator said that it was called the flying coffin, and cited the miserable number of crashes.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Same age, same model. I was just reading about the first satellites sent up and some of them are still up there.

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    It's getting crowded up there with all those satellites. Look up Iridium 33 to see what happened.

Obsessed likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup. Add the one that was shot at as a test and now NASA is working on a way to clean up orbital debris.:rolleyes:

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I wonder what the decibel level is inside the cockpit of one those going 1500 mph?

Inside a Cessna going 200 mph is loud enough!

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Not bad considering the sound coming out of that big engine is going the speed of sound and the planes going well over that at 1,500 mph.

JayFreddy likes this.

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I thought about that too, and the fact that the engine is behind the cockpit, but I imagine just the air hitting the canopy at that kind of speed would be deafening.

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You wouldn't be able to get anywhere near those MiGs because of the Starfighter being too fast for its own good, before you'd know it you already passed the Bogey and they would be on your six.

There's a reason why people figured it to be useless in a dog fight.

Not really, considering what a Starfighter pilot has to wear.
    [​IMG]
    Add to the fact that the cockpit of a Starfighter is pressurized, the only sound that the pilot would hear are the voices of the ground control and his fellow squadron mates through the radio.

Anyway, I did a whole thread about the Starfighter a while ago, and here it is.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/for-ai...t-controversial-jet-fighter-the-f-104.680455/

Anyway, the Starfighter has a younger sister which became an iconic plane in her own right.
    [​IMG]
    The U2. To save on development costs, the boffins at Lockheed used a Starfighter fuselage and married it with different wings and tailplane.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Yeah I wondered about wind noise too. But it's got to sealed up better than that 51 year old Volvo I drive around in. Lol

JayFreddy likes this.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    When I was a kid I dreamed about flying an F-104 and had a model. Only later did I found out how dangerous they were. Very cool looking airplane no matter what.

18. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Holy cow. I never realized it before, but that absolutely is a Starfighter fuselage. Different engines too, I imagine?

19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Yup, the thirsty General Electric J-79 of the starfighter wouldn't do for what the U2 was designed to do.

So the General Electric J73, the same engine which also powered the North American F-86H Sabre Hog and the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak was used.

Although recently the entire U2 fleet has been re-engined and the engine of the B-2 Spirit Stealth bomber, the General Electric F-118 was put in there.

Glen W likes this.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

When I was stationed in Italy in the mid 1980s the Italian Airforce were still flying about 35 of these. They would buzz the missle site on radar test days and I love it. When I think of Cold War fighters this is the one I think of. Nothing like the sound of a F 104!!

Glen W and xafinity like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.