Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1950 Tele string gauge?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by slinger, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    I have a 1954 Fender catalog. Strings are pictured in this catalog. However it is a different version from the ones I posted earlier. The ones I posted earlier are pre 1954. They were certainly made between 1951 and 1954.

2. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Chincoteague, VA
    I had :cry: a '58 Tele with original case. In the case (to the best of my recollection) ... were a couple sets of Black Diamond Flatwounds. Also; a set of LaBella Tape Wounds. Don't remember the gauges.

3. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Wow, that's COOL!!!

4. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    Great discussion!

Here is a scan of some old strings I have.

According to previous posts, the top row envelopes in my pic are from about '51-'54 and one of the bottom ones appears to be from the early CBS era.

Anyone have any ideas about the other three?

Vintage Fender Strings.jpg

1955 likes this.

5. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    I decided to semi-open them for the first time in their 65 or so years!

The unwound string has an extra piece of paper inside the waxed paper envelope... not sure why.

Vintage Fender Strings open F.jpg

Vintage Fender Strings open B.jpg

1955 and MickM like this.

6. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I can't say with any authority what string sets were considered "standard" back in the early 50's, but I am an avid Tele jazz and 50's Chicago blues player.

The current production set that gets me closest to the tone I'm chasing (warm, thick, and full) is D'Addario's EPN21 Pure Nickel. This set's gauges run as follows: .012, .016, .023 (wound), .031, .041, and .051.

And yeah, I know flat wounds are the traditional choice for jazz, but they've never felt quite right under my fingers.

Follow the link below to review the full line of D'Addario's Pure Nickel sets:
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=4

AJ Love and Old Tele man like this.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks...those are obviously "Made in Germany" and definitely help to establish Fender usage before V.C.Squier became OEM (and later purchase).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.