Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1950 Double Esquire Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Oct 4, 2009.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Eyeballed on a spindle sander (-;

2. junk mutt

junk mutt Tele-Meister

May 12, 2008
    Englandland
    Beautiful work Gil, that neck looks good enough to eat! Apart from the trussrod and string tree is this the same spec as the first one you made ? i.e did you use the dope in the finishing sequence? I remember you saying its not very nice to work with.

3. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Oh... right... no dope. I used very thin black nitro for this body.
    I'd rather not use dope unless I have to (-;

4. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    Just the perfect amount of relic.. mesa like it

5. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2011
    vancouver island bc
    Nice to see this thread again, it's one of my favorites. I am wondering how the no truss rod neck is doing, can you tell us? Also if there is a source for slot head screws (they really look fine) - other than NOS? I've been thinking about reshaping flat heads - a lot of work...

6. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I believe the owner of the no truss rod proto is a member here. Probably still straight as I had it for a few weeks before Nacho got it and even with 0.011's it remained straight. Those big necks need to rod.
    I couldn't find the screws off the shelf. Screw manufacturing machines changed over time and the Nickel plating is not the same as it used to be. Also, mild steel screws are not made any more so if you need an exact replacement it has to be NOS.

7. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2011
    vancouver island bc
    Thanks, Gil - I'm really tempted to go without a T.R. on my next build - I've always liked big necks...

8. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    Michigan
    I build without a truss rod also but only with a thick neck as Gil does. And my double basses go out without a rod also...of course that is a different animal. But yes, I am becoming an advocate for a no rod neck in some cases. Of course the right wood and dimension is essential.

9. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    Texarkana, AR
    pickup wiring

I imagine this info is in here somewhere, but I have looked through several times and missed it. How many positions does the selector switch have and what are the options? I understand an Esquire had three positions to choose how the bridge pickup functioned. With this having a neck pickup, how are those same options available? I am currently building my first Tele, and I would like to copy this builds wiring if it is wired how I think it may be.

10. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Standard Broadcaster blend control circuit with 3 pos switch.

11. Kinghat

Kinghat Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    Texarkana, AR
    Thanks!

12. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Gotham City
    Favorite thread ever. Thanks to whomever pulled it back up. Preep, you are a true craftsman.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    So...I'm curious. What did the pickguard end up being made of?

14. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thermocole

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Interesting. I looked that stuff up, and apparently it is polystyrene, the same as the early Fender Strat knobs (the ones that didn't yellow). Did you somehow manage to do some research and figure out what was used for the original Esquires, or did you take a guess?

16. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Never had a real 1950 NAMM Esquire in my hands... wish I have.
    All white plastics from Fender up to 1955 were Styrene... so I took a calculated risk (-;

17. Jay512

Jay512 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 22, 2010
    North Branch, MN
    I have a theory to why you don't like quartersawn necks preeb. Could it be that because the grain of a quartersawn neck resists relief/backbow but soaks up the side to side motion of the strings? Where as, a flatsawn neck would reinforce the vibrations of the strings creating more sustain but be less stable and more likely to require a truss rod on thinner necks...

This is just an observation to the question in my head of why such a thing would even matter...

I'm sure this might create a little buzz, or maybe it has already been talked about. I really don't know. I don't get on these forums much. Anyway, great looking build preeb!

Jay

18. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2012
    Arizona
    I know this is a tad late, and I'm sure the situation has been clarified, but a buddy of mine has an early Broadcaster dated 11/01/50, and it has brass saddles. From what I've heard, there's a pretty good chance that it may have been the first one built after the switch from steel. Great build Gil, thanks for the knowledge!

19. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    I love this thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.