Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1950 Double Esquire Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Oct 4, 2009.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I'm glad you're not using the string tree Nacho asked me to install.
    I think it sounds nicer this way.
    Hope you'll enjoy it, it's a very nice instrument.

2. ajitaw

ajitaw TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Hangtown
    A real quick question if I may, what if I just used a nitro black color coat with no clear instead of the dope? I'd rather not deal with that stuff and I am not looking to be super "correct". Could I do a few light color coats and slightly buff it out? Thanks!

3. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Valencia SPAIN
    Gils guitars

Hi Gil!
    Id like to say that David bought the guitar not because I didnt love it but simply because I have a guitar shop here in town and I leave many of my guitars and put price tags in them, just in case...:D Gil was very supportive and patient with me on the whole deal and he made adjustments here and there and then some more until he was sure I was totally happy with the guitar, which of course I was. But David came to the shop one day and got it!! Anyway David is a great friend and player and he is the kinda of guy that appreciates this great stuff like Gil makes.
    I just would like to take this op to recommend anyone out there these amazing guitars made by a true maestro who happens to be a fine gentleman with solid opinions and very deep knowlegde on early fender guitars !
    all best
    Nacho.

4. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Color coats have very low solid content (a little lacquer and a lot of thinner) so the build up will be a PITA.
    You can do the black coat and proceed with clear.

5. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Very cool. Just discovered this thread. it is soooo long, I couldn't take the time : what pickups did you go with ?

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Also recently made my way through the thread - awesome read, and an awesome guitar :)

Incidentally, when I was just reading this article (linked from a different post). In it, there's a comment on page 2 about Fender using oil-based furniture paint until the early 50s. I wondered if it was of any relevance to the speculation about the finish on the Esquires...

https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=VokoaX4zx2LlmkRZYwtQBQ

(Original thread here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...dies-neck-europe-if-possible.html#post2503518 )

7. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I made Broadcaster type PU's for this one with the large dia Fullerton NOS magnets IIRC. It's in the thread, look it up.

8. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thank you nacho!

9. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I believe it was already lacquer by late 1950.
    I did only two Summer 1950 Esquires with that black airplane dope for the body and it smelled nasty (-;
    I couldn't find any reliable info indicating the early pre-production Esquiers were finished with oil based finish.

10. bajaasdad

bajaasdad Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Kalifornia
    Wow....just wow

This is the best build thread I've ever read on ANY guitar. Ever.

This is what happens when a generous helping of OCD meets consummate skill and kind generosity.:D:D:D:D

Preeb, mayhaps you might be able to answer a question for me? Does the metal baseplate on a tele bridge pickup affect the tone any?

I've never played a tele nor looked at the pickup so i don't know.

Again, awesome, awesome build thread.

11. madebydave

madebydave TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Chicago
    then...

Gil, was the blend not working (fu__ed up) because the resistor was applied wrong? Would you show the final circuit layout? I am currently working on a pine Double Esq. I also made a burst after following your 1959 thread.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

My guitar page. http://madebydave.yolasite.com

12. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Wow... It was so long ago that I can't even remember what was wrong with the initial wiring. I don't have the guitar to check the circuit but I think the owner has posted here somewhere so he might be able to refresh my memory and answer that question.

13. madebydave

madebydave TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Chicago
    I think it was the part where you said the resistor passed through the 4 terminals. That conflicts with most of what I have read, but I thought yours might be right and the others wrong. It wasn't until I read all the posts and saw you needed to correct it that I wanted to ask.

http://madebydave.yolasite.com

14. dmartinez

dmartinez TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Hope these pics help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dmartinez

dmartinez TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Let me tell you how it happened. Nacho invited me to try the guitar. My wife was sitting in the car with the engine on. I liked the guitar A LOT.

The rest is story.

16. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks. It was made after the original double esquire circuit which I got from close up photos (I can not post the photos because they are not my own to share).
    Basically it's almost identical to the early Broadcaster blend circuit where:
    1st pos = neck pickup + capacitor for bassy tone
    2nd pos = neck pickup alone
    3rd pos = bridge pickup + "tone knob" is not used as one... instead it blends the neck pickup in while in bridge pos.

[​IMG]

17. Smoothteletwang

Smoothteletwang TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Sault ste. marie
    Awesome guitars man, but just out of curiousity, won't a wood like pine just get old and start to bind....isn't that why we use hardwood for the body? Let me know how it goes!

18. Hi preeb, how do you cut the bottom of the nut at 9.5 radius? TIA :D

Very nice build by the way :cool:

19. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Just completed another double Esquire. This one was built with a truss rod, retainer tree and a feather weight one piece pine body. Not 100% historically accurate but still a superb instrument. Wish I could keep it here... but it's going to a local friend so videos will not be a problem.
    Both PU's made with original Fullerton large diameter AlNiCo magnets (0.198") and AWG43 magnet wire. DCR is 10.5K and 7.5K and sounds seriously good (-;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    It's a replica of Leo's first electric spanish NAMM show guitar. He thought that pine would be nice since he had a lot of it available for the amps... so who am I to argue...
    The few that survived are still OK and sound awesome (-;

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.