1950/51 Esquire for sale in Toronto Ex Nacho Banos

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by warrent, Apr 4, 2019.

1. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

A 1950/51 esquire for sale at Capsule Music in Toronto
    https://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.php?id=2644

Hallelujah ! To see a guitar this early is a thrill and this one has a neat history . This guitar was owned by Nacho Banos ( he wrote the amazing Blackguard book) and we have email correspondence from him confirming his ownership.The body of the guitar has been refinished by Mark Jenny of MJT and the neck has been lightly oversprayed , it's also had a pro refret . The guitar has the original pencil neck date of 4/21/51 , the 1 piece ash body has no channel route so its early (1950), a neck pickup was added before the refinish with 2 small screw holes in neck cavity. The bridge pickup , saddles, bridge plate, control plate, pots, and selector are original . The closed tuners , pickguard , neck plate and screws are original . There are also some numbers lightly etched into the original bridge plate . This piece of history is a joy to play and sounds just incredible !!! w/ reissue brown 50's case

50tele1.jpg

t guitar floyd and rze99 like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems pretty cool.

I never understood the "call or e-mail for price" thing. Maybe the price on request approach add imaginary value for some buyers.

3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

This might be a dumb question but why does it have a selector switch with only one pickup?

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

No question is dumb.

Copied from:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Fender_Esquire_Basics

the Esquire has a 3-way switch, plus a master volume and master tone configuration. But on a single-pickup guitar, how do you use a “pickup selector” switch? Leo’s idea was to use the 3-way switch as a kind of tone-shaper. Here are the specifics:

• Position #1. This corresponds to the solo bridge-pickup position on a Tele. On the Esquire, however, the pickup is routed through the volume control only, with the tone control bypassed for a hotter and louder lead sound with even more high-end.
    • Position #2. In this middle setting, the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume and tone control—identical to position #1 on a standard Telecaster. It sounds a bit warmer compared to the Esquire’s #1 position.
    • Position #3. Here, the tone control is again bypassed and the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume control and a fixed “treble roll-off ” capacitor/resistor network for a very dark tone that also has a slightly decreased output. Leo intended this as a “bass preset” that would allow the ’50s guitar player to enter bass territory by simply flipping the 3-way switch.

PeterUK, Jwalker99, igor5 and 2 others like this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not a dumb question -
    <deleted my nearly accurate answer - a much better one arrived as I was pecking in my observations>

Peace - Deeve

RodeoTex and warrent like this.
  6. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Very cool, thank you for the explanation. Mr. Fender was a genius.

7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

How much does an instrument of this vintage usually bring? I would guess in the 10’s of thousands easily.

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

A mint esquire Like this would be 25 to 35 thousand. This one is less because of the refret and refinish.
    How much less I don't know. It's 20 minutes from my house and if it's priced how I think it is I'd be to tempted to buy it. So I'm not asking.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  9. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

They're only 15 minutes from my place, but I won't be buying it either. Mark and Pete usually put the prices up on they're site, even expensive items. I'm guessing this one is priced quite high since it's call or email for a price. :( Cool Esquire! Too bad it's been re-finished though...

warrent likes this.
  10. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Yes he was!!

11. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

I’ve tried doing searches for production numbers and came up empty. Does anyone know how many of these would have been made? It really is an amazing piece of history to me.

12. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Where were you looking for a Serial Number?.......my best guess is 1786 ....? the 17 is clearer in the other image below .......so 1786 is ballpark for 50/51

P1170729.JPG

P1170730.JPG

P1170728.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  13. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

They made roughly 5500 bridges with serial numbers before the number moved to the neck plate sometime in 54. Hope that helps

14. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

I went by this afternoon and had a quick look at this guitar. It was pretty cool. The neck wasn't that thick at the nut up to the 5th fret and then it was the thicker feel I was expecting. It was heavier than my tele (which is about 6 3/4 pounds) so I'd guess 7.5 to 8 lbs? I didn't plug it into an amp, so no idea what it sounds like.

It had Philips screws in the neck mounting and bridge. I thought a 50/51 would have all slotted?

I didn't love the refin/relic, but I seldom appreciate MJT's work.

The price is $35,000 Canadian, I assume. So that's a couple hundred bucks US. :rolleyes:

Jwalker99 and warrent like this.
  15. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 NEW MEMBER!

Phillips head screws? Uhhh no. I believe a black guard tele has slotted screws.

My Nacho Banos made relic replica tele has slotted screws. A nacho made guitar is 99% accurate to a real tele. Hard to find but costs about $5k. Better than a master built custom shop . Closest thing out there to the real thing .

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

If I were actually thinking about purchasing this guitar I think I'd ask Nacho about it first.
    He actually seems to be fairly approachable, and is a member here.

17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

1951 is the start of the transition to Phillips head screws.

18. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 NEW MEMBER!

Can you post email from author Nacho Banos verifying provenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Contact the store:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

35k is way too much for a refin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.