Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1949 Fender Telecaster? :includes video:

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by NastyMojo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'd love to hear what that guy in the early photo sounded like.

2. tukk04

tukk04 Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2012
    Stroudsburg, Pa
    I love that pic, it's just like he was the kid in preschool that managed to fit the round block through the square hole, it's close and it works, but you know he'll get it right eventually.

3. Cus2310

Cus2310 Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2012
    Glasgow-Clyde Built
    What a bull**** artist! I would never buy a used car from that guy never mind a historical Fender!

4. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2005
    North West England
    It's very obvious that's a refin, someone painted over the ferrules.

5. poorplayer

poorplayer Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2005
    Televille
    i've been in that store and seen that guitar in person - very cool

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Since you seem to have missed one of my earlier posts, I'll post it once more ... Here's the story behind the "Mystery Tele":

7. Rusty356

Rusty356 TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    I use to own one of the original double Esquire Fender guitars. I not only owned one, but I traveled with it and played sometimes two and three nights a week with it as my "one and only" guitar. I loved the way that guitar sounded and played, but most of all I loved the way it felt after playing a typical four hour gig. The guitar would spoil you to the point where you couldn't even imagine trading it for any other ax .... especially any of the "newer" Telecasters ... which always felt like playing a German Tank compared to playing a double Esquire. I suppose that the club of original double Esquire players/owners is getting pretty small ... but in never ceases to amaze me at how many "original Double Esquires" seem to be coming out of the woodwork ..... every year!

While we're on the subject of new double Esquires coming out of the woodwork, am I the only person who happened to notice the color of the "El Quijote" wall at the front of the George Hutton guitar video .... and BTW ... my double Esquire bridge plate didn't have ANY serial numbers stamped into it ... at all (just "Patent Pending")! And one other thing .... "black pine" is NOT a color of wood .... it's a species of pine, a closed grain softwood commonly used for building many things in Southern California, including speaker cabinets and early Fender guitars. My (super light-weight) black pine bodied double Esquire had a white stained (blonde) body and a white pick-guard. The guitar was balanced perfectly WITHOUT a truss rod, and I can see why Leo Fender felt that a truss rod would not necessarily be an improvement. If the instrument plays well without one .... who needs to carry that extra weight all night on-stage??? Having the guitar well balanced is the key, so I can understand why the Broadcasters and later Telecasters with the truss rods were built with ash bodies .... but they certainly weren't "better" than the double Esquires IMHO (and I'm one of the ever increasingly few who can even have an opinion on this). ha ha

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    You must surely be one of The Chosen Few to have owned one of these desireable guitars - good on you!

But this 1950 photo - credited Leo himself - clearly shows a black, 2 pickup Esquire. And there are color pics of a black 2 pickup Esquire (serial # 0129) in Richard R. Smith's "FENDER. The Sound Heard 'round the World". The body is laminated pine and it's definitely painted black. Whether it's the species pinus nigra (European Black Pine), the American version Jeffrey Pine or yet another subspecies, the story says nothing about though. In this case the words "black pine" means black painted pine.

I'm not saying there didn't exist white ones like yours - the red metallic Esquire in this thread shows traces of white paint in the cavities - but I think the first production batch were typically painted black.

[​IMG]

I'm sure some non-truss rod necks may have survived without warping/bowing, but there are many examples of the opposite (what about BB's Esquire?), so Leo did the right thing when he finally gave in to the demand for a truss rod.

Just be thankful that you are one of The Chosen Few!

9. nichd01

nichd01 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2013
    Midwest

10. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I don't think I will ever come up on a pine Esquire anytime soon, black, white, or Studebaker red, but I got to play a 1950 Broadcaster today at local vintage music store and that was a treat. It's been a long time since I picked up one of those. Frets were in surprisingly good condition and neck played pretty well considering its age.

www.rumbleseatmusic.com

11. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    That's a very fun vintage site. Oh, to be rich!

12. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I certainly can't afford their stuff. Plenty of dealers have refins, refrets, and cut up vintage gear, but they only carry 100% percent original with original pickups, frets, and finish and in at the least very good condition. Some stuff even has serious provenance to drive the point all the way home. Of course, you pay for that and it makes it kind of scary to play. For a tenth of the price I got a refinished and refretted '68 which was an excellent player all around and for about a fifth of the price I got a very nice '65 refin from private seller and GC, respectively.

The wear on the Broadcaster's frets were so slight that my 12 year old guitar has more wear than that. A slight, yet perfect preserving overspray (not full refin) may have cut that guitar from the ridiculous price it would have garnered yet that's about as unoriginal as you will get there. It has an original era blackguard to replace the white pickguard the owner had put on it and that may chase off a collector or two. To me it looked like the original, untouched finish and it takes art restorers on that level not to do the common garage Jasco and home nitro spray treatment. There was a pretty unplayable, warped Broadcaster on TV but that thing went for double the price due to complete 100% percent originality with all scars, stains, and 60 year old funk. This reminds me of my rich friend who sells super rare, usually unworking Swiss watches to serious collectors worldwide.

I don't make a habit of playing stuff that I could never afford yet that Broadcaster was by far the least expensive guitar there right in front of me. There was EC's Explorer and also a 1958 left handed (maybe only one) Korina V and a nice '59 Les Paul sunburst. Also there was this new acquisition:

http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/101776.html?1302728451

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

13. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Very interesting thread.

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Nobody commented on that guys shirt above. That Polka Dot shirt must have been the cat's meow in 1949.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.