Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1941 RCA Victrola with 6F6G tubes--Good for guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by reddy2300, Sep 19, 2017.

1. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I'll start this by saying I know little to nothing about tube amps other than they sound awesome and they can kill you if you do the wrong things when working on them.

I have acquired a 1941 Victrola radio record player and would like to use the iron and chassis to build a cool little tube amp. (I'm about 80% sure that I'd pay someone who WON'T kill themselves in the process to do the work.)

I was thinking of doing a 6V6 with a 12ax7 preamp. (I do like overdrive.) My guess is that none of the caps are any good.

Opinions?

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Does it work now ? Whats the preamp tube(s).

3. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    "Hasn't been plugged-in in over 30 years."

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    While you're pondering what to do with it, don't plug it in. At all. Capacitors degrade and, if internally shorted, can destroy your power transformer and other parts in a second.

clintj likes this.

5. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I guess that's another thing I knew to not do. Lol..

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    I'd like to see a couple of pics and know what tubes it has currently too. Converting old things can be fun, but you'll get the best results if you stay sort of in the ballpark for the original power amp configuration as far as impedance and such.

Edit: the 6F6G looks to be a close cousin of the 6V6GT as far as voltage, power, and design spec primary impedance, and has a higher filament current draw. You just might have a good candidate there.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    corliss1 likes this.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Once the amps been refurbished I think you ve got a nice littel amp. Pentode or triode preamp ? All you would need do is use the needle input if its a ceramic catridge.

8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I've actually run guitar through a few 6f6's and 6k6 as well. The 6F6 has a kinda thin early breakup, but as said it's easy to use a tube higher on the tree. What is the speaker impedance and type and what does the output transformer look like?

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I doubt a Victrola is going to be loud enough to be suited as a guitar amp. Plus, from 1941?

If you're into The Andrew Sisters, maybe.

My family had a 1956 model while growing up, bought the year I was born.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.