Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

18 whatt - “paint by numbers”

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Feb 5, 2019.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    Warm glow on a very cold night. 72EFBA54-5F8F-4681-B735-EECEC53369C5.jpeg
    At idle, this amp is dead quiet.

CoyotesGator, jtcnj and SacDAve like this.
  2. RollingBender

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    Finally got a chance to really run this thing through the paces. I used it Sunday at band rehearsal and was really able to let loose with it a few times since. I absolutely love the normal channel, both clean and wound out. The TMB channel is not getting my love... the lows are farty and it does not have much brilliance either. I ordered all new components for the front panel, maybe that will help. The pots in the recycled chassis don’t seem very healthy.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wow, you brought an AK-47 to a knife fight!

24 track likes this.
  4. RollingBender

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    resistors.jpg

So, I see grid resistors on some variants of the 18 watt TMB and not on others? Is this contributing to the "darkness" of this amp?

5. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Depends on their value and I can read almost nothing in the image.

Post a high res version and I'm willing to do some calculations/simulations.

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
  7. RollingBender

May 14, 2011
    SW Minnesota
    They are 10K. I took them out last night so test the difference. I "think" it is a little brighter and I "think" it is a bit noisier without them...hard to tell not being able to A/B them on the fly.

I've never played through any 18watt variant before so have no frame of reference but a lot of people say that it can sometimes get too ice-pick-esqe, especially with single coils. I've been playing a Strat and Tele through it. On the bridge pickup, it's OK but not as bright as I want. With any other pickup combination, it’s VERY dark sounding and the bass is flabby.

Attached Files:

8. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Yeah 10K and people laughed at my clear back panel....... who’s laughing now:twisted:

18w 2.jpeg 18 w1.jpeg

CoyotesGator and jtcnj like this.
  9. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Interesting to see where this goes. I've never cranked mine up all the way. I always seem to be plugged in channel 2. I'm going to Crank it up monday neighbors are gone

jtcnj likes this.
  10. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    Brick, N.J. USA
    I mostly use the TMB channel 2 as well.

11. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Blencowe says 10k is the minimum input resistance that consumer audio gear expect to see. So I guess you should not remove it from the TMB input.

The high input on the other channel has a cutoff frequency of 20.4kHz with and 23.4kHz without the 10k grid stoppers.

I believe the low input will have an even higher cutoff frequency.

However... the 470k grid stopper of the second stage of the TMB gives a cutoff frequency of 3.4kHz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.