Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

18" Archtop Non Cutaway Acoustic on order.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by chezdeluxe, Aug 8, 2017.

1. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    I have just commissioned an 18'' Acoustic Archtop from a wonderful Australian luthier Gary Rizzolo.

http://www.rizzologuitars.com/home

As the years pass the likelihood of me using all the guitars and amps I have accumulated over the years has diminished considerably. Thinning the herd was an exercise I have been engaged in for the past few months and there is plenty more to go. I don't think I am going to miss any of what I plan to move along and someone else will enjoy the gear instead of it sitting unused in my house.

I decided that the money raised could go into something extra special that would bring me musical joy in my future years. I also figured that rather than spend a significant amount on an existing instrument I would commission the guitar I wanted and support the work of a talented individual luthier.

The delivery date is scheduled for April next year and I plan to drive the 1000 miles from Brisbane to Melbourne to collect the guitar and have a touring holiday whilst bringing it home.

The guitar I have ordered is similar in specification to the 18" Full Body Archtop on this page from the Rizzolo guitar website but with a neck shape to suit me and a vintage amber finish rather than sunburst.

http://www.rizzologuitars.com/archtop

This is going to be a fun wait. :)

2. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Sounds like fun all the way around. Beautiful guitars.

chezdeluxe likes this.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Nice choice. Beautiful guitar.

For that kind of money, I'd want a bound fingerboard, though. :D

boredguy6060 likes this.

4. chezdeluxe

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    When I spoke to Gary Rizzolo he told me he is now binding his fingerboards with a strip of ebony cut from each side of the fingerboard blank and with a contrasting strip of timber inlaid between the ebony sections. That idea appeals to me. :)

5. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    These guitars look fab!

chezdeluxe likes this.

6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You made some nice choices. I never got on with the idea of acoustic guitars with cutaways, flat or arch top. A few players can pull it off but when playing above the 12th fret on an acoustic, most guys are reaching for their Tele licks.

chezdeluxe likes this.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I have all kinds of guitars, most with bound fretboards.
    I wouldnt buy one with out it for many years.
    Then something changed, now I prefer an unbound fretboard, and my latest purchases have been unbound.
    Obviously it's a matter of taste, and for some unknown reason my taste changed after 50 years.
    It hasn't improved my playing though.
    OP, your new commission looks spectacular and I would love to see some pics when you get it.

chezdeluxe likes this.

8. chezdeluxe

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks for replies guys.

My next job is to go through all my guitars and come up with my favourite neck profile and neck thickness at the 2nd and 10th frets and report back to Gary Rizzolo. He doesn't need that information for some time yet so I will devote a bit of thought to it. I can get along with most necks but those with a flat thin shape near the nut are not my favourites.

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Awesome! !8 inches is a huge guitar but the sound, the sound!

chezdeluxe likes this.

10. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Those guitars look beautiful! Looking forward to seeing liberal amounts of progress pics.

chezdeluxe likes this.

11. chezdeluxe

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Progress report.

The TKL 18 inch case for my guitar has arrived in Australia from the US. Yay :)

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

18"! I hope you like dancing with fat ladies.

chezdeluxe likes this.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    very beautiful! We will, of course, appreciate a ton of pictures when you bring it home.

chezdeluxe likes this.

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Man, those are some gorgeous instruments! What fun!

What color??

chezdeluxe likes this.

17. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    First of all really nice choice of instrument. His prices seem very reasonable for a custom archtop. Have you played his guitars before?

chezdeluxe likes this.

18. chezdeluxe

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    The guitar will be Vintage Amber in colour. The same primary colour as the 18 inch archtop in the photos but without the red sunburst shading.

I haven't played one of Gary's guitars but I have heard his instruments on online videos.

His archtops are X braced which seems to give a less percussive sound than parallel bar braced guitars.

warrent likes this.

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Great plan!

chezdeluxe likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.