Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

$1500.00 What guitar would you buy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 76telepicker, Oct 28, 2008.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    If I had $1500 I would probably just buy enough quality parts to build myself 3 or 4 really good guitars.

2. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

I don't know how much Ron Kirn is charging, but thats what i would buy

3. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2005
    Earth
    Probably a Taylor acoustic/electric since I own a million electrics (figuratively) and only have a crappy/mediocre handful of acoustics that need to be sold/put out of their misery. I just traded an SG for a new MIM Standard Strat and I am totally satisfied with it, so $400 is fine for an electric for me (I'd use the leftover $1100 to get something like a Twin Reverb)! I've never spent more than $700 on a guitar in my 14 years of playing so it's hard to imagine spending a lot on a single instrument, especially Fender style electrics since they can be upgraded so easily and with the great build quality on MIM Fenders (I have two MIM Standard Jazz Basses, one fretless, a standard strat, and a 50's Esquire).

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Some stock of a beaten down company with a good business model in a down sector of the market or...........the carvin looks nice

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I thought I responded to this thread back some time ago. Oh, well, guess it was some similar thread.

So, if I had $1,500 earmarked for guitar purchases, I would buy 2 more Logan Customs. One would be a repro of a 1953 Tele, the other...I don't know yet. Bob's coming out with thinlines, so maybe one of those.

7. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2008
    shreveport, LA
    Well with my playing abilities and such I would either get a CV Tele or Gretsch 5120 in orange and a Blues Jr. and if I had any money left over would buy my wife some roses sho she would not shoot me for buying another guitar.

8. araT

araT Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    I'd probably buy an AC30 & a CV Tele or an Ovation 1868TX to go with it.. or a Gibson Flying V, just cos I've always wanted one.

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Either this :
    [​IMG]
    GIBSON ES 125 TD

Or this:
    [​IMG]
    HARMONY ROY SMECK

11. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I would fill the car up with gas,get up early on Saturday morning,and hit EVERY yard sale within 25 miles.

Realistically? If I had to spend it on just one guitar,it would be a great tele....no,strat.Darn....uh....a Lester RI.Man.....okay,a really nice CS Flying V.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    And the best part ? The vast majority of the instruments are hanging on the walls and you just take 'em down and play. No one hassles you.

I was sadly disappointed when I went to Gruhn's at how much they hovered and you couldn't pull anything down yourself.

Mandolin Bros ? Very mellow, a lot like Elderly. Stan Jay is a cool cat...

13. hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565 Tele-Meister

Dec 9, 2006
    Omaha, NE.
    Oh, a little something like this.

[​IMG]

14. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2008
    Iowa
    EASY!!!!

This is an easy one,,,

a Gretsch 5120 Used. and a set of TV Jones pickups for it.

I would save the rest, that would pretty much give me one of each type of guitar that I like........ I would use the rest part of the refinishing cost of making my basement into a music room.

15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    today, i would buy a Gretsch Corvette.

i wouldn't buy a fender today because i'm mad at them.

16. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ

1500$ goes a long ways in Iowa.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    One of THESE would be fine thank you very much.

18. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Midwest
    For $1500. I'd have another USACG Tele or Strat built exactly the way I want, with the exact neck/fretboard profile, wood, hardware, and electronic components I want. But, that's me. :rolleyes::cool:

Tom

19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
  20. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    A very nice acoustic guitar. And if there's any left over, a banjo.

21. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I know this guy who saved his whole life for a vintage Gibson banjo. After years of hard work, he spent $5200 on his banjo. Pride and love of his life (the banjo). One night he stopped at the mall to buy a CD. He walked out of the parking ramp, up the elevator, through the mall to the CD store and then it hit him. He might have left the car unlocked. Poor guy ran through the mall, down the elevator, out into parking.

Sure as hell; he left the car unlocked.

He peaking the back seat and to his horror.....he found 6 more banjos.

(-:

John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.