Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

12 String Tele nut

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat62, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    Hey, guys-it's been a while since I've been here. WTH do I find a nut for a 12 string Tele, or Strat for that matter? I can't seem to locate one anywhere.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Graphtech TUSQ, but you may have to shave the length down a hair.

3. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I just got the bug up my arse to build another 12 dedicated to open tuning and slide, and now I'm looking to find a 12 nut with reversed high-low grooves. Gonna be impossible, I know. And not a deal breaker--just want to do it.

This would just be considered a lefty 12 nut, right? I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Nope, unless you want the high pitched strings further from the floor.

What you're looking for is having each string pair reversed, not the whole lot all at once.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But you still have to shave the bottom of the entire thing anyway to fit, so I don't think that's relevant anyway. These 12 nuts aren't sold to fit as direct replacements for any 12 nuts. They still need modification.

Not to mention shaving to match your radius.

Wait...I'm wrong. Now I understand you.

I TOLD you I can't wrap my head around this!

6. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.

7. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    That's the reason I'm looking for new nut. I made a Ric style nut and it's not worth it. For me, it didn't jangle as much.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Interesting, and it makes sense. You hit the higher strings first for the jangle to be more prominent.

Never played a Ric, so I have no idea.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Be aware on those two TUSQ 12s. Or four, because they come in black or white:

For my 12, I got a raw neck and slotted for my nut. I did a horrible job, yet it still sounds glorious.

One of those two (four) nuts is thicker and shorter than the other. The other is thinner and longer than the other.

Both can work, but it's a matter of what will fit in your current neck, and whether you want to shave the width of the nut (or expand your neck's nut slot), or have to shave the ends to shorten its length, which results in the E strings riding right up on the very edge of the fretboard.

I chose the latter, and no complaints,

10. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Send me your neck and I will cut a 12 string bone or corian nut for it any way you prefer. I have done a few of these in my day.
    Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.