12 string acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LeftyAl, Nov 11, 2013.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Been thinking a lot lately about getting a 12 string.Had one nearly 40 years ago .sold it cheap. still wish I had it.Maybe one with a pickup in it. I can't remember how to tune one.

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The top two pairs, the high E and B are the same gauge and are tuned in unison; the four remaining wound strings have lighter gauge strings paired with them and are tuned in octaves...on virtually every 12-string with the exception of a Rickenbacker (electric), your pick hits the high octave string of the pairings first.

3. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Thanks ,I was thinking octaves but its been a long time since I had a 12 string.I'm thinking of a used Fender or Rondo acoustic

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Shop around for a Seagull 12-string. You can find used ones for pretty decent prices and they play and sound fantastic, really punch above their weight class.

5. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

The new Fender 12 strings look interesting and are priced reasonably. If you have big hands, old Yammies are a great value and sound great.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

hunt for a takamine from the 70's... you can usually get them for 300.00 or less... I got one a couple months ago (my second) for 175.00

great great guitars.

7. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

8. Jim DaddyO

Jim DaddyO TDPRI Member

I am pretty happy with my Simon & Patrick. I bought it because I am pretty happy with the 6 string I got 20 years ago. They both have spruce tops and the 6 was the same colour as the 12 is when new.

[​IMG]

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I leave a snark tuner on my 12 at all times.. I have an extra battery in the case...

in tune, the 12 sounds like heaven... not in tune, it sounds like most 12 strings..

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Slightly out of tune can give you a cool chorusing effect. Too far out of tune can make it sound like something else.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another vote for the Seagull 12 electric. Almost made my girlfriend cry.

12. FirstBassman

S&P, Seagull, etc.

They're all from the Godin family of instruments.

http://www.godinguitars.com/

I've never gotten a chance to play one but hear only good things about 'em.

PS: 12-string guitars, in general, is heavenly music on Earth.

13. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

They cost a bit more, but the Guild Standard models are really nice 12 strings. Nothin' says 12 string like a Guild...

14. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

I bought an Art & Lutherie 12 string about three years ago . Cedar top , wild cherry sides and back , maple neck , rosewood bridge and fingerboard. Very nice !

15. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

+1

And since changing the strings on a 12 string guitar is not my idea of fun, I use coated strings on my Breedlove. In addition to the glorious sound, I also like the rear of bridge loading, no pin design of the guitar, which is stable and nifty, except for the having to bend the string end just so, in order to get the string to feed up and over the bridge.

16. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Guild is the king of acoustic 12 strings

17. FirstBassman

And this guy is the king of Guild 12 string acoustics ...

[​IMG]

But Kantner plays a jumbo. Not my thing.

18. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

For every Paul Kanter or Tim Buckley though you got a John Denver so it kinda evens out.

No argument that for a lot of years Guild 12 strings were the ones that all others were measured against.

I play an early 1963 Gibson B45-12 strung with heavier gauge strings and tuned down. These have a very distinct sound and are probably not everybody's cup of tea but they remain my favorite 12 strings of all time. Problem is the window of opportunity with these is not very long. The round should and first square shoulder 12 strings were built very lightly and so had a nasty tendency to implode. In late 1964 Gibson really beefed up the bracing. Great for longentivity but not so great for sound.

19. MadScotsman

MadScotsman TDPRI Member

I play a Guild F-412, it's got a big sound,heavy as hell,and I love it,also a Gibson J-185-12- String,nice,warm tone,easier to play than the Guild,not as loud though,plus I got a cheapo Tanglewood,as a beater,plus an Ovation Elite 2058TX 12- String,which,though doesn't sound that hot unplugged,sounds wonderful,through an acoustic amp,easy to play,plus the finish is so rough,I dont worry about it getting scuffed or dinged.

20. JCJCJC

JCJCJC Tele-Holic

I play an Ibanez 2012ETK 12-string and love it. It compares well with my Martin 6-string which costs six times as much. The neck is a bit wide but after an hour on it I don't notice any more. At acoustic gigs, I get asked to bring the 12 all the time. It has an on-board tuner and a pre-amp. Plugged in, it sounds the same as acoustically, but if I dial in chorus and echo it is pure magic - Hotel California sound. The only thing I would fault are the tuners, they are poor quality, I intend to change them.
    You should try one. If budget is tight, B-stock ones turn up all the time on Ebay for very reasonable money, with only cosmetic flaws.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.