12 hour drive... tune suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Jun 12, 2019.

1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I'm looking for a long road trip to take just so I can listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones again, a gossipy & very fun podcast history of country music. For music I find lately that country blues gets me going -- seems simple, actually godawful complicated, makes me think about something other than how long till the next gas stop.

2. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Not sure the OP's proclivities... but if you're into jambands (yes, I'm one of those people), download the Relisten app. Tons of great bands have entire shows there... not just Phish and the Grateful Dead. But you do have to know what you like...

Otherwise, download a radio station app like SimpleRadio... I use that, and have WXPN out of Philly (lots of folk and alt-rock), and the esteemed WWOZ from New Orleans on my list. WMNF community radio from Tampa is excellent, depending on the show and day. Find their app; it has a live updated playlist, and the show schedule. As it's real community radio, certain shows are there to support the locals, and aren't real great for long road trips. But the morning show, and afternoon drivetime shows, are excellent.

I do a lot of driving, long trips occasionally... one of these days I will get into the podcasts. I know there's a ton of good'uns out there.

3. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

In the UK we have BBC 4 and BBC 5 which are relatively sensible speech based radio. Which is to say that they aren't only phone ins ( very little of that on BBC4). There is non BBC talk radio as well which is probably more like in the US and maybe not what I'd listen to. Speech based radio is a bit like having a companion in the car but you can turn them off when you've had enough.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah. US Talk radio is like being trapped in your car with your crazy, racist, violent, conspiracy-theory-addled uncle as he snorts coke and loads his shotgun.

RoyalBaby, Mike Eskimo and beach bob like this.
  5. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

King Crimson! If you're down to spending some money, the Road to Red box is fantastic. Otherwise, all of the albums are now on spotify!

AAT65 likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I drove from Brooklyn to Detroit in the winter -which makes it almost 12 hrs - ten yrs ago, and it was all Buck and the Dwight Does Buck cd.

I had other stuff cued up but the honky tonk just seemed to work - the whole time.

Rustbucket likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I laugh and laugh when I listen. I find it highly entertaining. But I cannot have it on when the wife is in the car as she does not find it as entertaining . I do admit that the gold and silver commercials get a little tiresome though...

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just wanna say, play STRICT strict attention to what time of day you will be traveling through Nashville by these means. Little Rock and Memphis are not a big deal, but you can lose a huge amount of time in congestion all around Nashville. And, IMO there is no alternate or bypass route that really works in your case. You don't wanna go through Paris or Clarksville, and US 79 is a disaster (lots is still 2 lane).

Be careful with those River Levels in Arkansas. Part of the reason you best stay on I-40 is that the gauges on not just the Arkansas but the Black and the White (and others) are still mighty high. The Mississippi at Cairo is I think still 10 feet above flood.

Let's hear it from the local guys in Nashville, as to whether they think using TN 155 is a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Distract yourself while driving?
    About 100 people die in USA every day in motor vehicle incidents.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’d second the recommendations for podcasts and audiobooks: I agree that they make the hours go by quicker than music.

When it’s time for music, I do like the suggestion of Autobahn...

12. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Point taken, but boredom promotes fatigue which can be much more dangerous on a long road trip IMO. So you never listen to music while driving then?

13. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

In my sig! :D

14. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I do often have the radio on, on something that doesn't catch my attention for a long time. Something with pretty random music and maybe somebody saying something once in a while. A long captivating story or10 of my favorite albums in a loop? No thanks.

15. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

La Monte Young, the well-tuned piano.

16. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

You could simulate a 70s road trip. Roll down all the windows turn off the AC put the heater on low, and listen to Radar Love the entire trip.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Twelve hours was a short day for me driving truck. Most truck driving days in the time period I drove truck were at least fifteen hours, sometimes more, sometimes a lot more, depending on what you could stand and how well you could fill out a log book, or two. I finally found that nothing beats almost anything for that length of time. Besides the CB was always chattering in the background anyway.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My last really long road trip was from Buffalo, NY to Melbourne, FL. You need to stop every so often so I stopped every time I saw a Walmart and bought a few more $5 and $7 country CD’s. Music I hadn’t heard before and music I hadn’t heard in a while made the time pass quickly.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My experiences in litigating auto wrecks/injuries is, people need to avoid some kinds of "distractions" while others can be useful.

An individual is doing precisely the same task, uninterrupted for 12 hours. You've got to break the cycle of boredom. Stop for a walk. Chewing gum. Plunge your head into cold water. Listen to something interesting or loud. I've even seen people pestering other motorists to create some tension. People bicker with their passengers in the car. While most of these things are "distractions", they also interrupt a dismal cycle of very little sensory input. Needing to get to the restroom to use the lavatory there can keep a person awake. Or thinking about something that makes you angry. Above all you've got to break the funk or trance the driver has drifted off into.

And so this is different that someone reaching for a sandwich or fiddling with the dial while poking along in traffic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.