10" Speakers for Bass and Guitar

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jondanger, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I am looking for a 10" speaker that would be suitable to play both bass and regular guitar through. These would be for a MusicMan HD130-410. I have a buddy who plays bass and guitar about equally and he wants an amp that he can use for both. I have this HD130 that he is interested in, but I don't think the stock speakers will cut it for bass. I know the amp itself sounds good for both bass and guitar.

Any recommendations?

2. harmonicon

harmonicon Tele-Meister

I used to play in a band where the guitarist ran his amp through an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet. It sounded fine, and of course they sound great for bass.

3. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

What's in a Fender Bassman? They were created for a bass. Just a thought.

4. jondanger

I had thought about that, but I don't think that whatever is in the Bassman can handle the 130 watts that this HD130 is going to throw at them.

The idea of putting whatever is in an SVT cab in there is intriguing though. I'll look into that.

Any other recommendations very welcome, thanks all!

5. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm not shilling for the company, but I had a Carvin 1 15" bass cabinet/stock speaker and it sounded really good for guitar with a Fender head. Not expensive, and very light for a 15" speaker and cabinet. I should have kept it. It might be worth while trying one of their 10" bass speakers. An Eminence 15" basslite didn't sound near as good as the Carvin did for guitar.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably some hi powered neo 10's would do the trick. I think celestion just
    created a new line of high powered stuff.

7. jondanger

Is the power handling more important than the frequency response?

8. jondanger

What do you guys think about 4 32 ohm SVT speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load?

The cab is open back. Do I have to worry about speaker travel?

9. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I know in a closed back a jbl e120 is rated for 300 watts rms....in an open back it is rated for 150 watts rms....there is a difference in power handling capacity in an open and closed back amp.

the original upgrade in 65 and later bassmans was the jbl d110f....then the k series 110and then the e110 series.

an e series 10 inch jbl is rated 300 watts rms in a closed back cabinet...150 in an open back.

10. jondanger

Here is the spec sheet for those SVT style speakers - Eminence B810. They are rated at 150w each, and the amp is 130. So it seems like they would handle the power. Even if you halve the rating, the math works out.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B810.pdf

Is this a stupid idea? Would it sound any good? His other option is hacking up a HD130 212 combo into a head unit and open back 212, then buying a closed back 15 cab. Seems like if 4 10s that can handle both bass and guitar is the best of both worlds. But if it sounds like garbage, it's obviously not worth it.

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

As far as I am concerned no speaker should have to do bass duty if it is open back.

12. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

A quad of P10Rs driven by a 130 Watt amp???? LOL!!!! Poof!!!!!

P10Rs are crud for bass.

13. jondanger

As far as I am concerned, your opinion on the matter is highly valued. Thanks for chiming in. I'll advise him to go for the "hack it up" approach. I think he is leaning in that direction anyway.

Thanks Printer.

14. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I should have said why but was running out. With an open back cabinet you get the low frequencies canceling out and you get weak bass. You can push the speakers harder by turning up the bass control but then you end up either distorting your amp and/or over driving the speakers. For guitar, not too bad, for bass sounds bad and it is a good recipe for blowing speakers.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

He doesn't need to hack it up. I'd suggest he just leave it as is and simply buy a closed back bass cabinet of whatever configuration he prefers; 1x12, 1x15, 2x10, etc that will handle the 130w that amp produces and when he uses his bass he can just unplug the internal speakers and run the external bass cabinet with it.

Speakers and cabinets designed for bass are seldom a great match for guitar and vice versa. If he takes this approach he keeps a perfectly good 130w 2x12 combo intact for guitar that can also power a workable bass cabinet as well. If weight is an issue have him look at neo bass cabinets that are very light in weight and capable of handling that amp with ease.

There's a lot less $$$ and less work involved in doing it this way.

His other option would be buying a small bass combo instead. A lightweight 250w 1x15 combo like my BG250 weighs 35lbs and sells for less than $350 which is probably not a whole lot more than he'd spend on a separate neo speaker cabinet or even in rebuilding his amp and buying speakers to replace those he has in it.

16. jondanger

I think he wants something more portable, but with a lot of power. He's been lugging around a Bassman 100 and one of those enormous pyramid cabinets for 10 years. The idea isn't really to wreck the combo cab. It's to take the chassis, fit it into a head cab, then build an open back 2x12 and put those fantastic MusicMan alnicos in there. Then he'd also get a 1x15 closed back. For bass gigs he could take the head and the 15, for guitar gigs the head and 2x12. We have a couple carpenter pals that can do the cabinets for a good price.

When we were playing a lot of gigs together, I got pretty sick of lugging that giant pyramid cab, but good God did it sound great. He's getting older but still gigging a lot, just needs something smaller and more flexible for double duty.

17. rugrat

rugrat TDPRI Member

If I might make a suggestion.

Open back is good for guitars and closed (but ussually ported) is good for bass.
    Why not make one that is both?

Make a seal-able back that can come off. If he is playing a guitar gig he can just take the back off when he gets there and if he is playing bass he could leave it on. You could have the ports in the removable section.

If it had a rubber seal to prevent rattling and unnecessary air escape. You could secure it with maybe four ATA type latches or something...

Anyways just a thought...

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Bass drivers are by their nature VERY hard to push to a warm, round sound for guitar. That's why their power ratings are so high - they are made tightly for headroom at high volume. There are a few that do double-duty but only in specific amps (the GK MB200 is a good example of a high-powered amp that sounds fairly good with guitar).

But for the most part, good bass drivers lack the efficiency to be pushed to a warm, mid-volume tone like good guitar speakers. They will sound cold and quite stiff.

Likewise, guitar speakers...except those used in tube bass amps...lack the tight low end needed for bass and sound floppy and loose.

If the guitar use will be for nothing but crystalline-clear clean tones with not much warmth (and no distortion) you might be able to use bass speakers for guitar...but not the reverse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.