Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

10/4/94

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chris S., Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    It's been 23 years since we lost Danny Gatton. He was a great friend, wickedly funny, and the most amazing guitar player I've ever seen. CS

1955, Wallo Tweed, bdkphoto and 2 others like this.

2. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    Sad that we lose such talented and kindhearted people so relatively young in life. I had not yet really gotten started playing guitar or really ever heard of Danny Gatton until the last few years. Upon hearing his music I was instantly amazed and unfortunately to my regret once I looked him up to find out more information was saddened to hear that he was no longer with us. But his talent and music Live on today. The memories that he left with those that knew him and the inspiration that he gave and still gives young musicians this many years later says a lot about the person he was. He left a great legacy that will endure for many more years.

3. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Very very sad all around

4. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    The state of the world as it is as of late and the loss recently of another great talent is enough to depressed even the most upbeat of us...

troy2003 likes this.

5. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    R.I.P. The Humbler. Without him nobody would know what a telecaster was truly capable of. He did so much with so little. He's always been one of my heroes and still is. Also a great street rod builder. Every time I go to a car show and see a 34 Ford I catch myself looking for a 53 Tele in the seat. Gone but not forgotten. A true guitar hero.

JayFreddy likes this.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Additionally sad that he wasn't around when so many more people (well guitarists, at least) found out how amazing he was.

On the positive side, we're lucky to have some records around to remind us how amazing that was. Thanks for posting! the best way to remember? listening!

In this video, he doesn't turn in his solo until about 6:00 into the arrangement - after the drum solo.

telleutelleme likes this.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Please check out Danny Gatton
    Joey DeFrancesco
    Relentless CD with the "greatest" guitarist and awesome Master of the B3.

Les Paul's liner notes on this, "Danny is full of surprises and into every kind of bag. I think he's going to reach a whole new audience with this one and I want to wish him a lot of luck." .....this was only shortly before Danny took his own life. Too, too sad.

8. barnbustud

barnbustud Tele-Holic

May 23, 2005
    asia
    Have you seen the video of danny playing with Chris?

That aside, Danny really brought the tele to the edge of the universe. I love how we could think of all these ideas that no one else could think about and solidify them on the fretboard.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I got turned on to Danny back in the '80's when I got my RI Tele. I was living in Charlottesville, VA and Danny played a lot around DC back then, but I never got up there to see him, which I regret to this day. I learned a lot from his first instruction video (the one he did before the Hot Licks video). And I started using those little teardrop picks because of him.

Such a shame to lose him like we did.

10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I never could understand why he made that decision. He seemed to have so much going for him. I understand, outward appearances, and the external contents of our lives don't mean much when you live with "the living night and the darkness at high noon".

I've known three people who took their own lives. Two were close friends. I understood why in those two cases, but then, I knew them, and what was happening behind the scenes.
    None the less, Gatton's suicide can only lead me to believe he felt trapped by suffering and unhappiness. That is heart breaking to hear about anyone, no matter who they are.

11. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The first song I played on a Telecaster was this one....Sky King...

a friend had it on a mix tape and only knew it was by Danny Gatton... never knew the track title....

anyway he figured out most of those early phrases on lead.. showed me the rhythm chords and away we'd go.... his wife was a bass player so we could get it going...
    I was a strat player then....my friend had a B bender tele...( which I'd played a few times and never liked).. one day the guy came over for a jam with a different guitar case?...
    what's in the case, I asked.,,,, it was an 83 Telecaster for sale... so he grabbed my strat, I strapped on the tele and we played Skyking.... a truly memorable moment as this Tele sounded sublime and played as slick as any guitar I'd played.... and I never made my usual mistakes here and there.... as if the tele already knew how to play the song.... yeah I'll take it...:).... we did Red House next to top off that first tele experience........

I'd never heard of DG.... So, I found all the torrents I could of his work and sat down and started listening ... after 3 albums I finally heard this familiar intro..... then rang my friend to tell him the name of the song we had been playing....

then when I started reading posts on here I found out a bit more about DG and how popular we was as a player... shame he checked out early...

teletimetx likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.