1 x 12 SS amps with Vibrato?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Nov 28, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Seems a bit hard to find. Thinking older amps cheap. 1 x 12 preferred maybe 1 x 10, mostly for size/weight issues. There's a lot of "chorus" options out there with reverb, my main need is vibrato.

2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Vibrato, as in frequency modulation? Varying pitch? Roland JC amps can select between chorus and vibrato. The JC-50 is 1x12 and can do vibrato.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My re-housed Vox Pathfinder 15R with a 12" Jensen......but, uh, I'm not selling.....;)

4. schmee

Good point, I have considered one of the JC amps and forgot they have a vibrato function in the chorus. Because it's related to the chorus on those JC amps I suppose it's a bit of a warbler or pitch vary type? Not a fan of those, just would like the SF/BF fender type of vibrato. I could just do it with a pedal though I suppose which leaves me a lot of amp options.

King Creole likes this.
  5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

The Roland JC amps have a proper vibrato.

There are some really great pedals. Look at the TC Electronic stuff. "The Shaker" in particular. I'd rather find an amp that I liked and then grab a pedal. You're doing what my dad used to call "car shopping based on the radio." You'll wind up with a pretty poor automobile that way.

JustABluesGuy and BigDaddyLH like this.
  6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

What Fender called "vibrato" is now usually called tremolo, or amplitude modulation (volume goes up and down). I don't mean to be pedantic, it's just a confusing bit of terminology. I guess when Leo Fender introduced tremolo on his amps, the terminology had really set between vibrato and tremolo.

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 comes in a 1x12, and it's a solid state amp with tremolo. It's not older or cheap. Vox made some transistor amps in the '60s that had tremolo I think. They probably come pretty cheap now.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Magnatone made amps with actual vibrato in the 60s. Kustom made amps with tremolo, IIRC, but I'm thinking it was actually vibrato. I could be wrong.

8. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Peavey Bandit and a Boss TR-2.

BelairPlayer likes this.
  9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Some of the tuck and rolls had blendable vibe/ trem.
    The Kustom L-1 w/ the Fender BF styling is still pretty cheep outside the "vintage" circles, and has killer trem. I have had two and stupidly traded both, last one was $30 of CL a few years ago. Look around and you should score one for < $100

Unknown-2.jpeg

Some Gretsch SS combos have trem, and are still pretty cheep I think there is a 1x10, a little looking might still turn up a Gibson G series for short money, they have a 1x10, 1x12 and for more fun a 1x15 that is a blast to play, I had the 1x15 $50 of CL. The Trem in old Acoustics is out of this world, but I don't belive any of the 1x12's had it, the 135 combos were 4x10 or 2x12 A few Magnavox era Ampeg SS combos had trem, but unless you get lucky you could buy a Jet for only a bit more..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  10. schmee

Yeah, I have a tremelo pedal that works well and I can use that. I have a Mini Loudbox and use it with that. But the Loudbox is not making it for my archtop electric sound. I likely need open back after doing some AB-ing. I just thought I might find something out there "all built in" as I would use it in a duo. I definitely dont like pitch shift. Didn't like it in my Brown Fender amps either. I can use my Princeton Reverb, but was hoping for something lightweight and totally noise free like many SS amps. Although My PR is very quiet, I used it recording an album this year and the engineer commented on how quiet it was. (my PR has a large PT and 12" speaker and slightly larger cab) But, some of the places I play in the duo are very old school and ancient wiring...
    It just struck me funny looking around that so many old amps have reverb and chorus and gain channels but no tremelo...

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I believe that some modeling amps from Fender, Boss, and others have vibrato. After checking the specs, here's what I found-The Fender Champion 40, and all Boss Katanas (50, 100, and Artist) have it. The Vox and Marshall ones have Tremolo but not Vibrato. FWIW, Tremolo is volume variation, while vibrato is frequency (pitch) variation. It doesn't help that Fender called the Vibrato on the Strat a "Tremolo", and the Tremolo on some of their amps "Vibrato".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

+1 on finding a trem pedal you love that can follow you from amp to amp. Till You find the amp that has it all, including great trem why forgo it?

If you find an affordable tremolux some day, you can just take it off your board then.

13. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Get a Strymon "Flint" and most nearly any amp will do. I prefer it's reverb and tremolo to my real spring reverbs, and other trem pedals.

schmee likes this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Cheap but good sounding small Fender like the FM 65DSP or Princeton 65DSP. I've had both and if you want cleans, they have it in profusion with a 12".

schmee likes this.
  15. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

My Roland Blues Cube Artist has tremolo (with tap tempo and blend controls), and I think it sounds really good.

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

the only amps I know of being made now with TPS vibrato are the 1x12 Magnatone and perhaps a couple from Juke - like the Coda.

17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

The Quilter Steelaire has tremolo, but it's a 1x15. I think they make a separate head unit though.

18. SolidSteak

Sometimes I see old Heathkit amps on Musicgoround.com that have trem. Also I think there were a few solid state Gibsons with trem... not normally 1x12 though IIRC. I guess there aren't that many options out there.

19. SolidSteak

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.