Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

1 piece versus 2 piece maple neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Dec 7, 2009.

1. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a 1 piece maple neck and a 2 piece? Advantages or disadvantages for one over the other.

2. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Depends on configuration.
    Usually 2 piece means separate fingerboard and back, same as a maple neck with a rosewood board. I don't think zappa, johnson, or lassie could hear the difference.

3. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Depends on who made the neck and how it was made. On a two piece if the grain is switched around before it is laminated it should make it stronger.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

That would be my take on it also.

6. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Where ever Bill Crook gets his necks. He told me but I forget. How he explained it to me is that I might have better luck with changing seasons going from humid to dry conditions as far as it staying intonated ect. His claim was no tone difference whatsoever.
    I'm just wondering if there were any other reasons why someone might choose 1 piece or 2.

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

On the ASAT Deluxe I had, the neck was a two piece, but not in the manner described above - the neck itself was two joined pieces. Not sure whether all G&L's are such manner of two-piece necks, but that one certainly was.

I dont know of any particular advantages or disadvantages, but those G&L necks sure are beautiful, regardless of how many pieces they are made from. However, that guitar was just not a keeper, tone-wise, so it found a new owner.

8. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that any two-piece neck of a given wood is stronger than a one-piece example. Tonally, you'd have a hard time narrowing it down to that one change.

9. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity

agree 100%. also agree with ian on this:
    :D

10. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

The overall size of the neck makes a difference with regards to the tone of the guitar, but I doubt the number of pieces really matters tonewise that much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.