Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

1/4" connectors

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JDO, Apr 23, 2012.

1. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Pittsboro, NC
    Any of you guys use 1/4" connectors like these
    [​IMG]

any downside to them? I'm thinking I'd be able to put my pedals closer together for a smaller pedalboard footprint. Thoughts?

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I wouldn't use them. Unlesss you have all of the same brand of pedals like Boss and you can align them in a perfect straight line. I would get these instead

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Not all pedals are standardized and built the same. The above adapter would require that the two pedals are perfectly "in sync / aligned" with one another so as to not cause a short.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  6. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Pittsboro, NC
    so they're fine if you have a number boss pedals in a row. they also sell them with an offset. i guess that's to help for those pedals that don't line up.

i already have some little pedal cords. just figured this could be easier, cleaner, take up less room, and have less wire for my signal to travel through. so far it seems none of y'all like them. hmmm.

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    They can damage the input/output jacks also because of no strain relief.

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    You are thinking about this quite clearly. The offset ones are to offset the pedals, but not to make up for variances in the input/output of the pedals. If the Boss is input is 5 cm off the floor and the MXR is 4cm off the floor, all you will be doing is stressing the jacks. The offset will not make up for variances. Trust us - there is a reason why these aren't in widespread use.

9. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Even with all the same brand pedals, there is stress on both sides' connections when you stomp on one of the pedals. Yes, they look neat and take up little space, but best to go with short (3-inch) patch cables to avoid this potential problem.

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2010
    Sutton, Ma
    I would never suggest using those connectors. If you look at most enclosures, the sides are never 90 degrees, there is always some angle. That little angle, in conjunction w/ stomping on the pedals to engage and disengage, will cause stress not only on the plugs of that connector, but also on the jacks themselves. So, no to the connectors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.