Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

❂❂❂❂ Porta-Wall Tires – Who had them? ❂❂❂❂

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Aug 17, 2011.

1. I like a good hubcap. They're a pleasure to see because they're rare too, at least in recent times in my neck of the woods.

Buck: are those glue on whitewalls? I think they'd look kinda cool on my M/S Michelins on my PU ... for something different!

2. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    I never had them. They wouldn't have looked very cool on my 69 Nova with Mickey Thompsons and Cragars. :D They are still available and I am thinking about getting them for my 51 Ford. They are $100 for a set, 15" x 3" wide. Do they ever fall off? :cool:

Attached Files:

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I want a set of wide whitewalls on my yellow/cream Honda Valkyrie....but apparently NO one makes a set that will fit that particular bike.

Bummer, dude. :(:(:(

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    We had an auto parts store called Sherpa in San Mateo back in the early 60's. You could buy all sorts of cheap add-ons. Chrome gas pedals, suicide knobs, moon hub caps, and Porta-wall in varying colors. For those of us on a tighter budget they sold an acrilic-like "whitewall" paint. Could be used for touch ups or to do a full on blackwall conversion. Unfortunately you had to do it freehand and my 37' Chevy tires didn't come out so well. Spent a lot of time scraping that stuff off.

Thanks for the post Bucko. I had all but forgotten about Sherpas. It was the automotive dollar store of its day.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Metzler has them. Metzeler ME 880 Marathon both thin and wide whitewall for the Valkyrie

- Built to handle the higher loads and handling characteristics of cruiser and touring bikes
    - Front tires feature rounded tread profile for smooth, neutral steering
    - Rear tires feature flatter tread profile and larger contact patch for better traction and mileage
    - Computer-designed tread pattern with offset groove alignment for uniform wear characteristics, low noise
    - Tread pattern has excellent water displacement ability and stability over rain grooves and under hard braking
    - Most 880 tires are vailable in blackwall. Some also available in wide white sidewalls (WWW) and narrow white sidewalls (NWS). See Related Products.
    - H-rating is good for speeds up to 130 mph, V-rating is good for speeds up to 149mph, and Z-rating is good for speeds over 149mph

Fits:
    Honda GL1500C Valkyrie (Rear)
    Honda VTX 1800 (Rear)

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    No glue.

The inner rim of the Porta-Wall fits between the tire and the rim.

Of course there is a YouTube video!

Of course, we never had a nice clean hammer to pound ours in...

:)

7. Thinliner

Thinliner Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Tullahoma, TN
    Have a set on my 31 Model A that is out under the carport at this moment!

8. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Thanks for looking around, but Metzler's website shows no WWW tires for the Valkyrie in their fitment chart. They have blackwall Marathon ME 880 tires for it, but no WW's.

9. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Earlier this summer I told my father in law to get a set. He fitted his '56 Ford with radials, and while it became much nicer to drive, it also started to look wrong without the whitewalls. He still hasn't got them though.

About feelers, the funny thing is that they IMO make the car look just as ugly as torn walls would.

10. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Found a fellow who's using Dunlops on his... this kinda what you're after?

[​IMG]

Guy says he had to buy very slightly smaller sizes, and bias ply.

11. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I distinctly remember when whitewalls were a big deal but never did care. It was always put out as a big selling point. I just thought that it was always more money for something that did absolutely nothing.

12. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Arkansas
    They were extremely popular in Memphis when I was a teen........

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If I remember right, they fit between the tire just above the bead, and the steel wheel itself. The issue was the portion away from the wheel, as they cracked and lost their shape.

But, I think your '51 needs all blackwalls to keep its cool vibe!

14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Watch the video in post #26.

It addresses the flopping around and wobbliness issues associated with less than optimal installation.

15. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    LOL
    I remember wanting a more "Euro" look on my '61 Buick Special back in the late '70s
    So I had them turn the WW inside when "Used Tire World" mountd my $49.95 set of "low mileage" Atlas take offs.
    My dad who had owned several classic Chevy Bel-Airs just rolled his eyes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.