Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

❂❂❂❂ Porta-Wall Tires – Who had them? ❂❂❂❂

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    My hand will go up first.

Could never afford any steenkin' WHITEWALL tires...

but Porta-Walls...

[​IMG]

were the Bees Knees!

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I am a few years behind you and only got interested when raised outline lettered tires came onto the scene... ;)

3. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    Whitewalls are before my time...but I do remember when bicycle tires came in colors. My brother had yellow ones on his bike. I had red ones. I thought they looked cool on my black "motocross" bicycle.

Now I can't help wondering what a black sports car would look like with red tires. :D

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Steve...Guilty as Charged....bought my first set at a Western Auto Store.

Probably around 1962...Wanted some Appleton Spotlights also, but I think

Ole Dad may have nixed that.......:(

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Raised white letters for me, too. I believe I had whitewalls on my Datsun 510, but only the white letters on all the Mustangs.

Also had the "driving lights" mounted under the front bumper. It was pretty nice having the extra visibility, but they kept getting broken when I went driving on logging roads....

6. To me, whitewalls always looked like a tuxedo on a horse, which is not a bad thing: lol:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Why are people talking about whitewalls in the past tense? They're still makin' em. Not the wide ones, of course, other than specialty companies, but when I buy tires I have to make sure they turn the WW to the inside. They just don't look good on modern cars.

8. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Yes. Porta-walls, fender skirts, echo cans (at the tip of the exhaust pipe),
    shaved hoods, shaved trunk lids, fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, etc.

9. Although I know you can still buy them, it's not every day you see them, except on vintage cars, that retro angle.

10. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Haminahamina...

Before I had saved enough money to buy whitewalls for the '58 Caddy, I had these and they were the worst thing ever!!! ....this was maybe a year ago and not in '58 ;-)

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

My parents had a 1960 Ford station wagon with those on it. Ugliest car ever made; wish I had it now.

12. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT

13. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Did they keep spinning when the auto stopped?

14. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    emu!, let's hope not.

15. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2009
    Castlewood,VA
    My mom had a '60 Ford wagon! I don't remember it being all that ugly..'course it wasn't an edsel.

16. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2010
    Richmond VA
    Portawalls looked ok when they were new, but eventually the edges would get boogered up and they'd start looking ratty. Then you'd see a car with portawalls where a chunk was missing out of one of them and it would look really nasty when it was moving.

Anybody remember the springy curb feelers cars used to have?

17. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

feelers and walls were pimpin your ride in the day..

[​IMG]

18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

19. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2003
    CT
    I can remember my older bro slappin a set of those on Dad's '52 Chevy, along with a set of these brushed aluminum Chinese-hat style wheel covers.

[​IMG]

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the '55 Manhattan we had had a set.

But it was parked. It was intended as a parts car but it never had anything on it that was all that sound. Never did get to use the McCullough supercharger that was on there.

Metallic green over Ivory, ivory and green "bambu" interior. Cool looking, but so much rot all through the steel structure.

We had some real wide whitewalls for the '54. Uniroyals, I think?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.