Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

☢zombie☢safehouse☢contest

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Nov 11, 2010.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    This is a chapter from the " World War Z " audio book about fortifications that worked. Good stuff. You are totally on the right track!

2. wylde4canes

wylde4canes Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2008
    North Carolina
    Your problem here is the collateral damage that setting a zombie herd on fire would cause. You are now left with two disasters instead of one, zombie plague and wide spread urban fire. I would prefer something more like a giant thresher above a steamroller, put them "shoulder to shoulder" and put the drivers in some kind of enclosure. What zombie you do not crush entirely below the roller would get caught and torn to shreds by the thresher. Once you have the majority mopped up, you create a perimeter (maybe your burning moat) and vector off the area into grids. You send in tactical response teams into every structure within a grid, clear it, and secure all ground floor entrances. Move to your next grid and repeat.

Once you have all zombies policed you then start feeding the remains in to the moat. Also, using the old fashioned square formations for your tactical units would be ideal, given that your opposition has no means of ranged attack.

3. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    This is how the U.S. Military went on the offensive against " zack " ( zombies ) in World War Z.

4. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Why not just give them what they want...brains.

We could grow brain cells from a petri dish...then entice them to do the dirty work for us...like shopping with the women folk while we watch TV.

5. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Well that ruins my plan to catapult hipsters into the zombie mob.

6. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    It's nice to know that other people are planning on continuing on humanity. I rely on dialysis to live, so I would have a month to coordinate an offensive to get to a unit for supplies or to run on the machine.

7. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    I think you may be onto something here. One of these dealies, spinning at full speed, might be more effective against zombies than it was against landmines. Those shamblers whose brains it didn't destroy would certainly be rendered immobile:

[​IMG]

8. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    I think even a brain dead zombie would know to run away from that thing.:eek:

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

You are absolutely welcome to join our group of (hmm, not survivors, aha! I have the name) PREVAILERS! those are genius level ideas.

I had to give a talk to a fairly large group of school administrators.. we had been talking about leadership and how we did some elements of human resources and I asked them (to wake them up after the guy talked about health care)

Think of the managers, principals, directors, superintendents that you have hired. If the zombies were coming, would the rank and file listen to them and follow their leadership?

what started as a small titter of laughter grew into a pretty good sized laugh and then a whole discussion about that idea. Instead of some goofy speech with slides about the 'need to lead'...

We talked about what actually motivates people to want to follow you and the zombie thing was perfect because, well, they just are....

I'm not that worried about collateral damage and while I get the whole "get out of the city" thing... I kind of think some big fires would good to set at a distance from where you are going to stay... and I'm not sure that going all rural is a good idea at all...

Do we know how zombies do in the cold?

I'm kind of thinking a city the size of say Albuquerque would be just right in terms of extant resources, decent weather and fairly good ingress and egress if you needed to bug out.

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I've got one of these babies stashed away...

[​IMG]

I'll be able to go anywhere I want...and maybe I'll take you with me.

☠ Kill the Brain - Kill the Zombie ☠

[​IMG]

11. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
    That's sort of what I was thinking.

12. elicross

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    That '58 Bulgemobile is very nice, but I've already put a down payment on a '93 Fagen Kamakiri.

13. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    my neighbors both have stockpiled food.

i have stockpiled guns.

my neighbors don't have any guns.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Mick, we'll have to get the shortwave radios working (or get uncle buck to ride us around to visit)

great minds Mick! :D

15. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

See . . . here's the thing . . .

I'm not so sure the "Z"Apocalypse hasn't already begun, and no-one's really noticed - simply because it hasn't been the "apocalyptic" Apocalypse it's been made out to be.
    I see zombies here every day ! They're all the slow moving type; except the ones driving cars - but they'll take care of themselves in time.

16. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    That Sherman Crab is a great idea for clearing zombies. Totally original. I will now steal that idea as part of my long term zombie apocolypse survival plan.:D

17. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Did anybody notice? (insert drum roll)

The 2010 winner of the Golden Shovel is... S.S. Huckleberry! by Shea Michael Trahan.

[​IMG]

He even looks like a guy who could whack more than a few zombies.

18. wylde4canes

wylde4canes Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2008
    North Carolina
    LOL thanks!

I would think that cold weather would be ideal, but it would have to be real cold. Like freezing the zombies to immobility cold. I mean, they are still mostly bags of water like us, right? They would have to freeze up. Only problem is, eventually, just about everywhere has a thaw......

As for rural vs urban, it is all about exposures, and the true cause of the zombieism. If it is disease based, you want to stay away from areas where the population is densely packed. With that note, say goodbye to any good friends in China and India for sure! However, if it is not disease based (or in some other way communicable), perhaps there is value in being in a larger urban setting. The flock mentality, where your chances of being a victim to predation decrease the greater the size of your flock. Of course that all goes out the window when you consider that zombies appetites are insatiable.....

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I've had trouble enough finding the cash to fix this place up over the years that we've owned it, just enough to keep the wife from quitting me. And now I'm supposed to make it zombie safe? Pssh.

When they come I'm just going to throw myself at them. They'll kill me right away, I'm sure, and then--this is my understanding--I'll become a member of the undead, and I'll come after you guys, especially those of you with guitars and equipment I like.

P.S. Getbent, do you know what's the difference between a good administrator and a bad one?*

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

20. elicross

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    If they bite or scratch you, you become one of them. If they get a good grip on you, you get torn to bits and eaten.

Best to have this in the front of your mind before deciding to throw yourself at the zombies. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.