Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

☞ Happy Birthday Earl Scruggs ☜

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    88 today

Not many people have a style of banjo playing named after themselves.

Mr. Scruggs is a national treasure.

2. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Holic

Feb 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Hope he is well.

3. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 21, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    Happy Birthday to Mr Scruggs!

How did you do the pointing fingers thing?

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I saw Earl when he was 83, not expecting a whole lot, I thought his playing days were probably over, but I wanted to see him just because he's Earl. I went to the Victorville Huck Finn Festival where he was actually headlining the show. When he came on, I was completely blown away by the speed and precission of his playing. He has a pretty large band, but he did over and hour and 15 minutes of standing and playing. Those of you who don't know banjos don't know weight! Any decent banjo will weigh about 15 pounds, they don't get any lighter the longer you play them.

It's been a while but I think Brad Davis was still playing with Earl, and is a very, very good acoustic, and Tele player. Brad sings, plays, and is a great performer in his own right. Of course Earls son was doing most of the singing, Earl had a tight band, but he didn't lean on 'em he was the MAN, all the way. I'm SO glad I got to see him.

Happy birthday MR. Scruggs!

5. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    The pic I posted was from that show. I was working the stage that weekend.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    How cool, glad you posted, I thought the pic was probably from that show. Earl is and always has been a gentleman in every respect. Were you not amazed at how well he played? Actual true story when he was in his 70's and playing with a five pros on banjo they had to ask him to slow it down a little so they could keep up!

7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    Amen to that.

Where IS that TDPRI "Like" button ??? :D

I gt to see Earl probably the same year Toto'sDad did, they booked him on the Suwannee River that spring. A fine set from one of the true musical trail blazers.

All the best to Earl and his family!

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    And he played guitar a bit...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.