Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

√√√ Making the Monkees: Documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jan 20, 2009.

1. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Texas

Funny ain't it....truth be known, if I'd have been there I woulda booed him too.

2. E.D. Patton

E.D. Patton Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Rafeleson's not necessarily the kiss of death. He went straight from making "Head" to "Five Easy Pieces" and "the King Of Marvin Gardens" and later "Stay Hungry" "Postman Always Rings Twice" and a some other notables.

3. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...uh...

...sometimes...we filmed a Halloween show and called it "Thank You Lovers of the Opera"...it came out pretty good...I have one copy,and there might be a digital version somewhere...

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    did Boyce and Hart get any mention? they were a large part in the formation of the band, who apparently were slightly challenged musically, except for Nesmith ... [​IMG]

5. bluetele54

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...actually...

...Peter had considerable experience in the folk music scene in New York and played several instruments...he was good buddy's with Stephen Stills during their Village days...Micky had to learn to play drums,and he did ok...Davy had stage experience in England...

...Boyce and Hart mostly wrote,and from hearing Bobby Hart talk about those days at a recent screening of "Head",I didn't get the impression that they didn't do anything else but write...the TV guys made most of the decisions regarding the formation of the characters that became the "Monkees",or so Peter Tork told me...

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Indeed. Tork was considered the best musician in the cast.

7. bluetele54

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...but,in truth...

...Nesmith did become,arguably,the best songwriter in the band...he wrote "Different Drum",sung by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys...

...he's also given credit for helping to create the genre known as "country rock"...

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    great thread on the monkees...i hate when people talk down about them...i just say...were the supremes a real band...then i say...thought so and walk away

zor and zam

going down

salesman

listen to the band

pleasant valley sunday

lets dance on

you told me

haha ill stop now

9. bluetele54

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...oddly enough...

...I knew "Take A Giant Step" as a Taj Mahal song before I learned it was first recorded by the "Pre Fab Four"...I love that song...

...and now,by doing some research,I find it was written by Gerry Goffin and Carol King,and recorded earlier by the "Rising Sons" w' Taj and Ry Cooder...

10. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2007
    Capel, West Oz
    Next time you see him can you kick him in the nuts from me for subjecting me to that f####n son 4-6 times a day on the radio every day back when I was 5!

11. DustyDave

DustyDave Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Fe, NM
    Michael Nesmith lives near here, outside Santa Fe. I haven't seen him, but I probably wouldn't recognize him if I did.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

First Bassman, I'll let my sister know that she DIDN'T see Jimi, I'm sure it will be a surprise to my mom who was also there... my sister is the inveterate scrapbook person, I'll ask her to produce her ticket stub to satisfy the mystery, my guess is she'll wrinkle her brow and say "who wants what?"

E.D., my statement was to say Rafelson and Kirshner comport themselves pretty poorly in the documentary. I love Rafelson movies... the downside for the guys in the monkees is that they were the meat in the grinder for two guys who were there to exploit and move on, which, they did.... Kirshner replaced them with.... The Archies! a cartoon band.

Capel, hmmmm... 4-6 times a day when you were 5? What the heck, I think you oughta kick one of your family members who must have been hooked on that song! Wouldn't it be great if an artist could command that a song be overplayed on the radio....

But, I will pass on your comment the next time I see him in Red River, Nm. I'm sure he'll laugh... I'm sure he's sung that song enough times to feel your pain....

it does have a cool steel part though...

13. bluetele54

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...wikipedia has this shot from 2005...

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith ...go 'head,click the link...

14. geddins

geddins Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Texas
    I didn't know he had a place in RR....I'll be there next month....I'm gonna be on the lookout, he remains one of my favorites....What's Forever For is a special tune to me.....

15. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Notice how Mike Nesmith has the Gretsch logo covered up with masking tape?

It's merely a copy but here's the closest thing my pauper's wages could get to that beautiful guitar (it's called a Hutchins "Clarksville 12"):

[​IMG]

16. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    as a side note...Michael Martin Murphy has a farm/ranch not far from here these days.

17. getbent

Written by the great Rafe Van Hoy, one of my all time favorite songwriters (you're mine tonight by pure prairie league in the gill era is another good one)

Buck, I think I remember hearing something about that.... Murphey is deep into Don Edwards cowboy territory for a pretty long time... he does a christmas show in Red River that is pretty good especially for the little ones...

I think he's from Texas, but he loves the mtns too... I love his Peaks, Valleys, Honky Tonks & Alleys....

Lots of guys get made fun of... about songs that everyone can sing.

18. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The whole Monkees thing was an interesting concept. The one thing I have always been creeped out about was just how close Charles Manson was to being a Monkee.

Lots of great songwriters behind the Monkees hits.

Hey, another cool thing about this thread is I learned to do this!!: √√√

19. getbent

hey, I © the √ or maybe I just ® it.  ∏ is a favorite of mine.

20. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

Opps.....I guess I jumped the gun on the Charley M rumors.

Manson was in the big house during Monkees auditions

But I did learn a few more of these!! ∑∷

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.