Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

√√√ Making the Monkees: Documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jan 20, 2009.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

DVR'd this documentary... pretty good stuff... a little bit VH1.. but, some great warts and all parts....

I always dug the Monkees... The wrecking crew AND Red Rhodes AND Mike Nesmith... great songs from Michael Murphey, Neil Diamond, John Stewart etc... Their downside was that Donny Kirshner and Bob Rafelson put them together...

pretty cool gear shots in it too...

Worth a look if you see it coming on.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

The "Wildfire" Michael Murphy?

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    First time I've heard that phrase! :eek:

- Scott

4. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    Is that only on cable? I'd love to see it -- HUGE Monkees fan!

5. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ...regarding Peter...

...I was in P.Tork's bluesband,"Shoe Suede Blues",for a couple of years...he had some interesting stories to tell when we had a chance to converse...

...I recall Jere telling me he played with him for a while too...

...I saw Peter at a recent screening of "Head" at the Egyptian Theatre,and he looked like Peter,only older..

6. jonnyo

jonnyo TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2008
    los angeles
    Check out the new Wrecking Crew documentary...great interviews with Micky Dolenz. It'is on the festival circuit nownut the film's web site is www.wreckingcrewmovie.com. I saw Peter Tork at a screening of the doc last october in the San Francisco bay area, and he played at a special Wrecking Crew concert afterwards, singing and playing guitar on two songs, "Auntie Grizelda" and "White Boy Blues" (probably did not get the title of the last one right). Tork played good electric blues guitar. I'd like to see the Monkees doc, too.

7. getbent

Yeah. he wrote 'what am I doin' hangin round' for them.

He had a great 'cosmic cowboy' band in the 70's I used to go see.. man, what a show!

8. getbent

he comes off pretty manic in the documentary... was the band good?

9. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I saw the Monkees in concert in the sixties.

10. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Tele-Meister

May 31, 2003
    lancaster ca
    monkees / hendrix?

Jimi hendrix:?: ,, opened for the monkees at the hollywood BOWL in 1967 i belive ,,, sorry i missed that ///// damn :!:

11. getbent

My sister saw them in Sacramento... Hendrix was the opening act... She was like 12... imagine that...

12. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    Me and my friends wouldn't have known who he was even if he did play at that gig. All we knew about were the Beatles, Monkees and Paul Revere And The Raiders cause they were on tv all the time.

13. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Oct 5, 2008
    nashville
    I saw that on VH1. Above-par for their sorta stuff.

On a related note, I was watching a Barrett-Jackson auction on TV last year where they sold the Monkeemobile. Final price was around half a million. I was kinda disappointed to read a book about George Barris and find out all those wild blowers and exhausts on the MM and his others were fake. "You mean the Monkeemobile didn't really need a drag 'chute?!"

14. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Cool. It doesn't air again on the Smithsonian Channel until 1/27, but I found I could get it through DirecTV video on demand.

15. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    What Am I doing Hanging 'Round?
    As We Go Along
    Some Of Shelley's Blues
    Girl I Knew From Somewhere
    I Want To Be Free

Name to me 5 better songs than those. Love The Monkees.

16. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia

I am confused.

All of the prevailing documentation that I remember seeing says Hendrix joined the Dick Clark Monkees tour (along with The Sundowners and somebody named Lynn Randell) in Florida and the last show(s) was at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium (in New York).

So why/how these sightings in California?

Could they, would they have flown clear across the country and back?
    It's possible I guess.

17. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Hendrix was booed off the stage by Monkee fans in Charlotte, a day that will live in infamy.

18. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Hhhmmm....

A quick little research (I'm off today) shows Hendrix played two shows that summer in California:

The Hollywood Bowl and the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara.

None in Sacramento.

:?:

19. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I met a friend for lunch yesterday and he was telling me about once, a few years back, when he was sitting watching a documentary about The Monkees on TV in his living room in his house in Cambridge. The show featured an interview with Micky Dolenz in the present day, reminiscing about the past.

After the show, my friend went out of the house to go somewhere, and as he got to the end of the road who should be coming out of the gate of one of the houses but Micky Dolenz. Apparently, he bought a house in Cambridge so his daughter would be eligible to go to the sixth form college (the best in England) there.

20. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    my wife still has the ticket stub from the Monkees concert she attended back in the 60s.
    of course, her favorite was (and still is) Davy.

i always dug Nesmith and Dolenz. Peter Tork to me sort of equated to Larry in the 3 Stooges....the guy in the middle who didn't get the best gags, but made the most of his moments.

and speaking of "What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round"....here's the clip from the old TV Series (check out Nesmith's Gretsch 12 String):

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.