Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

“Mind if I come?”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Freejack, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Weird. Now that I have a band, I have people (3 now) who are asking if they can come play. It seems more like, “can I come jam with you?” than an actual request to join the band, but it is humorous.

Carl

dented likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I have to admit to being a little relieved by reading the post.

Yes...figure out which ones are worthy...and let them come.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

If can be a bit of a balancing act until the band is established as a unit, trying to let people join in, have fun, and potentially become useful long-term band members on a full time or occasional basis... without every rehearsal become a mindless jam, or running over the few standards everyone knows, or starting to learn something else which is a new guy’s pet song when there’s a whole bunch of half-learned stuff already...
    Once a band is a bit clearer in its own identity (they all think of each other as “the band” and are clear that the others are not in it) then I think it gets easier to let people come along, sing a song, play a harmonica part etc: when they’re done you can say “OK that was fun, now we’ve got to rehearse X, Y and Z... please stay and listen if you like” and get on with business.

Alamo likes this.
  4. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Finding a bandmate is good... not connecting is bad, try some maybe you find "it"

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

is your band called The Enablers ?.....;)

if you need other players to sit in, fair enough... if you don't, well they might be in the way then, just saying..:rolleyes:

nojazzhere and thegeezer like this.
  6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    And yet you clicked on it ....

TeleTucson and william tele like this.
  7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Come as you are

8. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods

william tele likes this.
  9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    As you were.

Boubou likes this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    That is weird. The bands I've been in, we never had people coming in to jam. When somebody new came by to play, it was clearly understood that it was a try-out. And we never felt like we had time to waste on jamming. We had 5 sets+ of material, and we wanted to add 2 new covers a week (soul top 40 cover band).

And no time to waste. For a new band, the clock is clicking down. You have a limited amount of time to accomplish what you trying to do. Fall short, and people will inevitably move to other projects.

nojazzhere and thegeezer like this.
  11. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Is it a band or not? That’s the question that’s going to have to be answered ultimately and who’s actually in it.

That’s really all there is to it. Otherwise, it will turn into something other than a band. Ask yourself, what was your and your band mates original intent?

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    All you've done is confuse me even more than the OP's title did. Is this some sort of health discussion for the unwed mothers society who wish to play in a band? :confused::confused::confused:

PS:

Shouldn't we be talking about car batteries and the spammers?

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Yours is a tricky question to answer.....are you trying to form a band to go play out?....or are you hosting a weekly jam session for fun? It's tough to do both. I've been in bands where friends wanted to sit in, but not to devote the time, practice, and energy to properly join. If that happens frequently, I'm out.

thegeezer likes this.
  14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    We used to let friends sit in whenever they wanted on Thursday nights (our other guitar player regularly had his guitar students come out just to get the experience of playing with a band in front of an audience), but Fridays and Saturdays were off limits to all but a very select few.

15. Freejack

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Interesting answers (all of them :) ). This is all rather new to us in general so that people are asking to come is pretty unique. I've struggled with how to approach a band to try and get better so having folks just come out and ask is interesting.

Yes, we do want to gig. Aside from me, the guys are pretty young (compared to me anyway :) ).

I do like the idea of "sure, let's spend 30 minutes jamming with others and then we need to get to work". It exposes us to other styles and lets us see where we can improve plus gets us into the mindset that we're trying to accomplish something. I don't want to remove the fun aspect of this either. We're all having a good time, playing, laughing, and joking around.

I'll touch base with the group and see how we might want to proceed.

At least at the moment, I don't think we're even in the mindset of learning to play two new songs a week! Woah! :)

Thanks!

Carl

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I don't want to remove the "fun" aspect of this either.....but I may have a different idea of "fun" than someone else. You can have a good time, playing, laughing and joking around, and get a lot accomplished.....or you can do all that and absolutely waste three hours. AND THAT'S FINE, if you're all agreed to wasting time. Do you guys learn your songs BEFORE coming to practice, and then spend time putting them together? Or do you come to practice, someone suggests a song, gives out the chord changes and key, and then you try to "bash it out"? That's a jam session to me.....by the same token, if you have friends coming to sit in, do they KNOW the songs you're going to do, or do they have to learn from scratch? If so, that, too, is a jam session.
    I'm not trying to tell anyone how to conduct their band or how to practice....I'm just saying what I've found to work to use practice time most productively.

17. Freejack

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Nope. I'm pretty clear that songs are learned on your own time. Band practice is learning how to play together as a band, learning cues, when to start and stop, etc. To facilitate it, I started folks on a 12-bar blues run. As much to learn the riff as to learn how to switch and ay attention to what others are doing.

Carl

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Carl, we used to have a fun side project, for my friends who were otherwise left out by the "real band". We had a piano guy, percussion people, coupla girls, even a uke player and sometimes Poetry was read against the playing. Rolling line up. It meant the lead guitar player could be off trying to learn those hard guitar parts and some of the rest of us could hone on songs were we writing; almost anything went. This agglomeration had another name. It was fun and allowed folks to blow off steam and things weren't so deadly serious and all that.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.