Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

“Mary Kaye” blonde finish – help please!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by guitarsammy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. guitarsammy

guitarsammy Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I’m thinking of putting together a Jazzmaster with a “Mary Kaye” style blonde finish on a swamp ash body.

I’m planning on buying the nitro from this guy and following his tutorial here: http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2012/12/16/new-build-mary-kaye-stratocaster/

However, I’d like to get a slightly more vintage-accurate finish by making the sides more opaque. I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me on how to go about doing this. I’ve had two ideas:

- Spray a bit more of the white blonde nitro on the sides, or;
    - Before spraying the blonde, spray some white nitro primer on the sides.

Would either of these approaches work? If so, how do you make sure the transition from the more opaque sides to the more transluscent centre is smooth and “natural” looking?

2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

"Spray a bit more of the white blonde nitro on the sides,"

This was they way it was done. As far as "accurate",if you look at any of the blonde finishes of the era you'll find no two exactly alike. Dome will have almost a sunburst fade and others the grain will only be obscured on the sides.

3. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2009
    Valley Ranch,Texas
    Just to add a tip. Spray the halo or "burst" first, get that exactly how you want it, then spray the rest. It's alot easier to sand back and respray the edges rather than having to sand back and start over everything because it's nearly impossible to fix a small error on MK. I can't even count the number of good attempts I've seen ruined at the halo stage due to a small error. At that point your choice is to live with it, or sand back and start over.

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK

5. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle

6. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK

7. guitarsammy

guitarsammy Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the link - it was really helpful, although I must admit it's left me feeling quite daunted :eek:

Too late to go back now, though - I've already started ordering parts :D

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Fortune favours the brave

9. guitarsammy

guitarsammy Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Would you mind if I contact you for some more advice if/when I need it? May be a while until I have the body and neck, but come the time I'm certain to need some advice :)

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

YES!!!! This is important!

11. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Not at all, it'd be my pleasure. This was actually my first ever finish/partscaster (I'd done a refin from poly to nitro on one neck before) so almost everyone on here know more than I do! But if I can help, I'll be happy to!

After all the help I've had on here, it'd be nice to pay some back. :)

12. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Don't know if this will help but I have a 1988 Mary Kaye Strat if pictures would help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.