Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

“It’s Time to Destroy the Legend of Brian Wilson”

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by omahaaudio, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    The big three of my teen years, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Beach Boys. The Beatles left on top; the Stones survived, creating; The Beach Boys became an oldies act. The Beach Boys defined an era in American Music but they failed to keep up as I moved forward.
    P.S. not a whole lotta love for Love over here either (something about him).

troy2003 likes this.

2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Amen and halleluja! I can take "classic rock" only in very small doses these days, having ODed on it decades ago. Sad, really. Such good music ridden into the ground by, as you state quite perfectly, soul-killing repetition.

songtalk likes this.

3. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Exactly!

4. DannyBuffalo

DannyBuffalo TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Pine Lake
    IMO, nothing compares to the Stamos years!

5. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I'd like to say that was an enjoyable read, but it wasn't. That piece is not even within shouting distance of competent journalism. Standards are so low now, that a dimwit like this gets published. This moron is not capable of writing for the Anytown Gazette. Pathetic.

The Beach Boys were a talented, influential band. If nothing else, they are a significant part of Americana. I mean the whole "California vibe" was started by them. Not only that, they directly or indirectly spawned a huge West Coast musical movement.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't worry about it. :^)

Much as I like the Beach Boys, perfectly understandable to me that this music would NOT work for everyone. Just like Dylan. Just like Neil Young. Just like Stephen Morrissey. Some types of compositions, vocals, just can't be expected to work for 100% of people. It can feel like being on the outside looking in and I know the experience well from the bands/vocalists I just can't enjoy. For me, it is Karen Carpenter. Within a few moments of hearing her intro, I'm already in pain and sprinting to turn the source off or get out of the room. Just part of being a listener, that something that works for others will never work for me.

+

Except for Neil's cover of Don Gibson (Lonesome Me) I would rather never see Neil Young do another cover. I'm Neil's #1 fan boy but I do not like his attempts to cover others. The Neil Young/BB connection I like is where he incorporates "Let's Go Away for Awhile" into the "Journey into the Past" soundtrack.

pondcaster likes this.

7. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I stopped reading after seeing that he spelled Steve Marriott's name wrong. If you're too lazy or incompetent to do simple fact-checking, you don't deserve to be read.

william tele likes this.

8. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

My thoughts exactly, came off like an op/Ed piece. I couldn't help but wonder...what's the point of this?

william tele likes this.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The Beach Boys actually got their vocal style from The Four Freshmen..

A Visit with Bob Flanigan of The Four Freshmen. He talks about influencing the Beach Boys at 5:15 via @YouTube
    z

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yeah, agreed. And I gotta stand up for somebody else in this great big old world liking Neil's cover of "Oh Lonesome Me". So different from the original and I love the arrangement. I play it on my geetar all the time and not sure any of my buncha guitar friends has even heard it other than my take.

Carry on.

william tele likes this.

11. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I really dislike the general tone of the article.

That being said, this endless bashing of Mike Love gets weary. If you actually hear him speak about Brian Wilson, there is pretty much nothing but love and recognition of Wilson's songwriting.

It seems to me that people generally like one thing and dislike the other. With The Beach Boys, it's all too easy. Mike sued Brian, Mike disliked Pet Sounds and SMiLE, and turned The Beach Boys into an oldies act! No way!

Well, Mike did sue Brian Wilson in the early '90s because he had written a great deal of the lyrics on the early songs but he wasn't credited on any. I understand too why The Beach Boys turned into an oldies act when the 1974 complilation album of early 60s songs "Endless Summer" got to top the charts, while since Pet Sounds no studio album reached higher than #24...

Funny how the author makes a reference to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd. Very similar situation, lots of folks tend to dislike Roger Waters. Mainly because of his outspoken political thoughts (and think that disagreeing with the politics of a country's government equals antisemitism).

12. Charlie T

Charlie T TDPRI Member

May 15, 2010
    Redlands CA
    Saw Brian with his band at the Hollywood bowl July 10th performing Pet Sounds and other major tunes. Included in the lineup was Blondie Chaplin, Al Jardine, and his son Matt with the finest falsetto I've heard (Beach style), recorded or otherwise. It was nice to see the composer sitting behind a giant white piano center stage while the music swelled from and around him. Growing up as a SoCal kid with a Musicmaster guitar in 1961, this concert pretty much ripped my guts out 50 years later. Brian closed out with Love and Mercy, a relatively recent composition. Brian still has it. As far as the Wilson family dynamics, even though it's played out in the media, is really none of my damn business. Brian went out of his way to give Mike Love credit for his writing and complimented his Beach Boy touring band. Gotta go, surfs up.

troy2003 and songtalk like this.

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Should I get off your lawn now................:D

Actually, I can't entirely disagree with your assessment of pop culture or the overdoing of good things to the point where they become less for it.

songtalk likes this.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    omahaaudio- are you putting people down who have a disorder?

Your post talks more about this than the talents of people. Consider Hemingway, Van Gogh and , recently , Robin Williams.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

For all the Mike Love haters, Brian wrote this song FOR him to sing. Probably my favorite Beach Boys tune:

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    No, you're welcome on my lawn because you don't keep reappearing there uninvited, every single day, like "Good Vibrations."

I'm actually making the opposite of a you kids get off my lawn argument. It's more, "please kids, come on my lawn. And get those geezers I went to high school with and their classic rock off my lawn."

troy2003 likes this.

17. canuck guy

canuck guy TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Alberta
    The Beach Boys are and will always be one of my favorites. Great songs and great concerts.
    They just made me feel good and want to sing along.
    Isn't that the better part of what music is all about?
    Most know Brian was the leader not Mike.
    Just so sad we lost Dennis and Carl.
    They were never the same.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

18. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

19. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    There's an awful lot of them. I may need several buses and some drivers to get them all in one pass...................:D

20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Don't forget Love rather than say thank you at the RnR hall of fame , said " F Paul McCartney" live before they could hit the bleep button.
    There were a lot of mothers and kids in the room as well as viewing this.
    Class move, Mike. Your pinnacle moment in the sun and that's what you got to share.
    Clearly the Beach Boys were driven by jealousy of the Beatles, as thou it were some patriotic call.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.