Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

“It’s Time to Destroy the Legend of Brian Wilson”

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by omahaaudio, Aug 11, 2016.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Additionally, I'd argue that Mike's vocal ability was a liability, not an asset, for Brian when he was creating arrangements (a further testament to Brian's talent). Just listen to the "Concert" album from '64 where you can hear Miguel Amor in all his unpolished nasal glory. :confused:

songtalk and boris bubbanov like this.

2. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Not to mention co-writing almost all their hit singles with Jan.

songtalk likes this.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    A pretty ill-informed article. The Beach Boys' singing is straight out of the Four Freshman school of close harmony. After getting dumped by Brian and the others, Murray put together the Sunrays: .

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Mike Love is jerky, but he wrote some key lyrics for the Beach Boys (including "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "California Girls") and he's kept the Beach Boys brand alive, for better or for worse, during many years when Brian wasn't functional. Yes, he'd be nowhere without Brian, but I can see how frustrated he must've been with Brian's behavior over the years, especially back when less was commonly understood about mental illness. Brian is highly manipulative in a passive-aggressive way.

5. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    Vocally, Mike Love is getting an undeserved bum rap here. He's the bass singer when the group stacks their harmonies. True to so many bass/baritone-register singers, their voices have a natural reedy quality in their higher ranges, in a way that tenor singers do not.

Mike Love is not an epic vocalist, but neither is he inconsequential in the band. Listen to "Little Deuce Coupe". Mike sings the lead in his characteristic reedy tone in that higher vocal range, which is higher in his voice, and then for the group stacked harmony refrain, he makes a jump way down to the bottom of the vocal stack to deliver very solid and audibly comfortable bass notes. And then he jumps back up again for verses. Such arrangements characterized his vocal input to the group on many songs when he sang lead.

No. I don't put him in the category of exceptional vocal talent, and not a fanboy or apologist for his musical, personal, or other traits, but offering a fair example of his VOCAL skills that I think is worth remembering or learning about.

Nobody's going to remember Mike Love for writing great songs, or even for a great voice, but he WAS a frequent frontman of a very popular band that was inspirational and provided formative influence to many bands and artists since. He will be mostly remembered for that. I give him that. No more. And no less.

daddyplaysbass, DonM and dlxtele like this.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Brian Wilson and I are very similar, just minus the musical genius

I've got the same similarity (with exception) going with Phil Spector

nojazzhere likes this.

7. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

...Especially 'Forever' from Sunflower.

8. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Fair enough. Solid points.

Just listened to the track. Is it just me, or are his lead vocals double tracked?

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Easy there, aaaaa pondcaster, if that is your real name.

Way over the top statement. Should rein in a bunch. I liked probably 2 of theirs & did respect PS and others.

I even saw Neil do Help Me Rhonda with BBs at '96 Farm Aid.

So upon second thought, overrated? I think so. Most overrated? No way. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.

10. Stingfan73

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    I believe so. I'm not so sure he was the only one to do that from time to time. I need to go back to my Pet Sounds box set and revisit...

11. Stingfan73

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    I believe so. I'm not so sure he was the only one to do that from time to time. I need to go back to my Pet Sounds box set and revisit...

12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Poorly written article without a scrap of objectivity. Writer has a huge axe to grind against Brian it seems

dlxtele likes this.

13. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Agreed. On some of their tracks it sounds like every part is, at least, double-tracked. Part of the reason it sounds so good. A trick Donald Fagen used to very good effect, as well.

14. Stingfan73

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    And
    And The Beatles, Queen, ELO, Phil Collins and so many others... :)

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    In an ancient Beach Boys song book I had from the mid-'60's it said that any of them could sing any of the parts to cover for each other in case someone had a cold. Maybe it was the publicists talking, but I think they were one of the best vocal oriented groups of all time, including CSN&Y or The Eagles. I saw them a few times during the "Holland/Surf's Up" period and they were just great.They were stretching out and trying new things and making good music. Unfortunately, they weren't selling records, so they turned into an oldies band and milked it for all it was worth often doing things like playing three cities in one day by just carrying guitars and having backline provided, flying in and doing the show.

william tele likes this.

16. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    +1

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    When I read that the Beach Boys had covered Elton John's "Crocodile rock" I went "Rght song for the right band"

But when I heard the actual version...

THIS is what you got when Brian was NOT involved.

Because only three years prior they had a hit with THIS, which sounds like a proper Beach Boys song, so they KNEW how to do it but wilfully ignored the fact that they knew how to do it.

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Nobody is to blame for the "Legend of Brian Wilson" beyond the Beach Boys themselves. They simply never took the music any further without Brian.

songtalk, PBO Blues and troy2003 like this.

19. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    Good grief, this is dumb.

20. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I don't even know what I feel on this. I'm no fan of Mike Love, and the stories I've read do him no favors. Personally, and this is just my feeling-they were good for what they were-a Surfer band singing upbeat tunes. Apart from that,they lost me. Again, no Mike Love apologist, but I'm sure Brian was no joy to be around for any length of time either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.