Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

“Cycle Sounds” in newly built JTM45/50

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Royal Tele, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Just finished building a Mojotone JTM45/50 kit. Biased it up last night. Sounds killer. Running E34L’s and a GZ34 rectifier.

But I’m hearing a constant noise that I can only describe as a “cycle noise”... some kind of noise of cycling electricity or something is getting amplified. Not 60 cycle hum. More like a fast ticking sound, almost like a digital clock sound that you hear sometimes when recording SPDIF directly into a DAW.

I dressed my leads as well as I could, making sure none of them were running parallel or near each other, but instead crossing at 90 degrees everywhere—especially when it comes to the leads going to and from the preamp tubes and the pots.

Can’t figure out what’s causing this. Never encountered it before. I’m even plugging into a Furman power conditioned power strip, rather than straight into the wall. (I haven’t played the amp anywhere but my house, though. But I’ve never heard this from my other builds.)

Any thoughts?

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    When I get that sound, it's interference from a power adapter or perhaps one of the router/switches or other computer gear in the vicinity.

I see you tried the power conditioner. Definitely try the other rooms and see what happens.

Royal Tele likes this.
  3. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Does it seem likely that this could be due to crosstalk happening on the power amp end?

4. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Tried it in a different room. Problem solved. Must have been electricity that had our home computer in it (nearby).

sds1 and Thin69 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.