Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

’52 Tele on Reverb – genuine or fake? Pls help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RadioFM74, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK

From the 7 or 8 AV52RIs I had, the neck had no undercoat, just an amber-tinted nitro lacquer, with the Fender decal on top.

The profile of the older 1998-2012 AV52RI was similar to the MIM Classic 50s Tele - a thick C shape that Fender called a U.

RadioFM74 likes this.

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Note the older AV52RI uses an Oak Grigsby switch (51992) and an ic503Z .05uF ceramic tone cap, whereas the PV52 uses a spring-loaded CRL switch, PIO cap and what looks like a milled (rather than pressed) jack cup.

RadioFM74 likes this.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Quite possibly, my hands :p
    I am not as picky as other TDPRI members. In the main, my hands distinguish between “chunky”, “medium” and “skinny”.

Both the AV52 and PV52 had what I call a “chunky” neck (as also the Baja 50s I tried on the way). It is true that the AV52 felt less full in the lower positions, which is not necessarily a bad thing. My Baja 60s has what I call a “medium” neck. My American Standard has what I call a “skinny”. The only ones I don’t really like are “skinny”. “Chunky” and “medium”, me likes ;)

In this case, I’ll go and try the guitar before buying, so I’ll have first hand experience to determine whether I like it or not.

Thanks for chiming in!

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Thanks!

You are now officially my guru :)

I guess now I am fully armed to go and be able to tell whether I am being ripped off or not…

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I might defer to Twang Tone. My post was based on my '96 and a 2002 I played which seemed the same. Both my '96 and '17 have stock p-ups that I don t even think about switching out they sound so good.

RadioFM74 likes this.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Thanks!

7. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Personally I wouldn't buy from someone with no reverb ratings. Let them get their feet wet selling to someone else. I buy a ton off reverb but reviews are worth their weight in gold (imho).

To each their own, good luck with this one it looks like a beaut!

RadioFM74 likes this.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    If I buy, I'll go there in person and be extra careful. Thx for pointing this out!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.