Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

’52 Tele on Reverb – genuine or fake? Pls help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RadioFM74, Oct 2, 2017.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Dear TDPRIers,

I am looking for a used Pure Vintage 52. I have found one on Reverb. Seller claims it’s all original, except that he swapped a “vintage-style” 6-saddle bridge in, and he’s providing the original bridge plate (I don’t see the saddles in the pictures, but that’s not a problem per se). He is making me a good offer, if the guitar is genuine. Big “if” though. Looking again, I’ve noticed something odd.

- The dot spacing on the neck says “post-2012” Pure Vintage tele
    - The body has a butt-crack, though, which I’m told newer PV teles don’t have.
    - No way to determine via the serial number, as the bridge has been swapped out
    - Looking carefully, one also see that an “E” in the “TELECASTER" logo is not perfect
    - He puts out ALL the tags etc… but not the little yellow “Pure Vintage” paper (you know, the one hanging from the volume control).

I am afraid that it might be a BSB body (maybe a pre-2012 AV, but at that point you never know) slapped on the neck of a newer AV. Or could it simply be that the replacement bridge plate is skinnier than the original and shows the crack?

I’m not sure how to proceed. He is an individual seller and has no feedback (good or bad) on reverb.

What think ye? aw4ppe9yucrg9wqkwgdz.jpg ea28dc7re0io3falnhi4.jpg eqdjuzuc7cvfoynlcxeu.jpg idmlivinecpzmgvk5nwv.jpg jigsktrodpukbmzedbwh.jpg uysc3gsacitkrfxvd3w0.jpg vqsu8kq8alaquhbyjoot.jpg wkdnroy0ochvlcx5lmzx.jpg

2. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    My bet is "no" - but I've been wrong before. Wouldn't a genuine '52 Tele have a vintage three-barrel bridge?

Dacious and RadioFM74 like this.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Hi @tonytrout , thanks for chiming in. This is the one mod he acknowledges, stating he’ll provide the original bridge. No big deal: I will unscrew the ungodly 6-barrel thing and re-screw the original bridge.

My worry is that there are unstated mods or that the thing is even some sort of partscaster.

4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    It looks fine to me (i.e. post 2012), but I could be missing something.

It looks like the e in the logo has just rubbed off, which I would consider normal.

RadioFM74 likes this.

5. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    Get some serial numbers and ask Fender.

RadioFM74 likes this.

6. Seasicksailor

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    Didn't these come with two bridges anyway?

ecosse and RadioFM74 like this.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    You mean the old or the new? The old ones sure did. Don’t know about the new ones.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Will do. Should I ask for the serial of the body AND of the neck, separately?

9. Seasicksailor

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    Hmm... actually, the pre-2012s came with the extra bridge. I found no such indication for the post-2012s. Having said that, it could be that he sourced a 6-barrel bridge independently. Either way, I don't see any worrying signs. Calling Fender with the serial number might be your safest option.

Owensv and RadioFM74 like this.

10. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

Still seems sort of fishy. Unless the price is way less there are nicer fish in the sea. I do see the listing on reverb and he is in France. I searched Reverb and there are many others at or below that price that seem more original. If you look reverb has a sort feature that shows will ship to Italy or Swiss where you are.

R

RadioFM74 likes this.

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Hmm… yes. The point is I offered gear in exchange and he was ready to say “I do” – which is cool, would be a good deal for me, but does not allay my suspicions…

I guess I’ll ask for the serial in any case, and also what happened to the nice little gray cable they give with pure vintage 52s, but I am a bit in doubt here.

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The case candy comes with the lacquer finish leaflet. It has slot head screws. That seems a lot of faffing about for a fake ( or dedicated attention to detail ). It looks legit, but if big money is to change hands, get the serial number checked.
    Butt crack is normal. The guitar needs setting up though. Why go to a 6 saddle bridge and set the intonation like that?

RadioFM74 and nojazzhere like this.

13. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    It takes about 1 minute to get the neck off the guitar and take pictures of both the neck heel and the pocket in the body - should be all kinds of identifiers in there. Not sure if there'd be a number on the neck plate on this guitar, can't see from the pics.

Sean_D and RadioFM74 like this.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    You’re right… he’d have gone some lengths to sell me a fake. I am just wondering whether he had an old one and stuck a new neck on it. But that’s a lot of faffing about, too!

If it turns out it’s a good one and I have just a bridge to screw in and set-up to do, I’ll do it gladly :)

I am not sure he’ll be willing to take the neck off, but I can always ask.

Thanks a lot everyone!

15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    This guitar was played by a guy with purple velvet sheets, so...

Are you sure you even want it?

MA6200, joshigh, RadioFM74 and 2 others like this.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Openening a whole nother problem here… Let’s first clarify issues of authenticity, THEN I’ll worry about the velvet sheets and take the necessary precautions if any :p

17. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

The bridge could be contributing to the butt crack issue since it clearly is not original.
    R

RadioFM74 likes this.

18. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It's real. They all have ' the butt crack' with a vintage bridge. They did all come with a spare 6-barrel 52s stopped coming with a COA in the noughties. The sticker sits on top of the nitro on the headstock so they get battered. The original bridge should have the serial no - can't remember if 2012 still had the dimple but I think not. It all looks right, slightly less orange paint of noughties 52s.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    RadioFM74 likes this.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I personally wouldn't want a '52 that didn't have bridge cleavage (because it's normal), but the way those saddles are positioned makes me think the seller has no idea what he's doing.

Seasicksailor and RadioFM74 like this.

20. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Most of it looks OK. I have a post 2012 and in comparison to the photos the switch tip is different, mine has a "ridge" around the top where that one seems domed. Also he's placed the original bridge face down so you can't read the serial number. Mine doesn't have any gaps around the bridge plate. And you'll get no dating from the neck as they are not dated, at least, mine isn't. Best is to ring Fender if you can get the serial number.

RadioFM74 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.